The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Encouraging responsible metal detecting

141 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Encouraging responsible metal detecting
Aug 02, 2005, 06:38
"I applaud the measures put in place for voluntary recording, by organisations and individuals, and I applaud Heritage Action's campaign to spread the word to the MD community at large. I hope it works, I really do, and I'll look forward to many evenings munching on vast quantities of humble pie."

Then loosen your belt and get ready for a feast...!

You youngsters are too pessimistic. What's needed is brainless optimism. Think of it - all these endless arguments about the rights and wrongs and the number of detectorists and whether and how much damage is caused.... and all the time Farmer Giles is quietly leaning on his gate with the power to sort it totally.

The trouble is, he doesn't know the difference between detectorists or the right questions to ask. That's PAS's fault - 7 years and they haven't informed him, yet it's part of their mission. Proof that they haven't got their message to the public: last year total finds from the general public (fieldwalkers, ramblers, people who dig their back gardens, builders, schoolkids etc etc, totalled a princely 600... out of a population of 60 million).

For every farmer that can be convinced to say no to non-recorders that's another two or three hundred acres whose history won't be stripped away and lost to the community.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index