what ever has happened to avebury?

122 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Ishmael
683 posts

Re: what ever has happened to avebury?
Jul 23, 2005, 20:58
>that Christians are the only people that meet and marry
no I'm not saying that but that there is No evidence that it ever happened inside Avebury.
Just because there is an avenue of stones doesn't Mean that people Processed down it.
There is an occupation site in the middle of the avenue which would have made any procession difficult.
Merrymaking leaves a lot of mess and this hasn't been found inside Avebury. Kieller dug up most of the area around the obelix and found it clean and the area around the Cove was also found to be clean when the Ministry of works poked about. Same in the North whem Piggot-Smith looked for the possible 3rd circle.
The site has been metald etected to death and no significant hoards have ever turned up (reported or not).
No Golden Sickles, or jewelry as offerings.
Stukeley mentions one square bit of metal which was found in the west entrance which sounds like a bronze aged axe head.

I know a pagan in Avebury who tells the tourists that on Mayday the ancients used to gather the women at the Cove and the men at the Obelix.
A virgin would walk around the outside stones and sit in the Devils chair before the men would poor blood through the hole in the top covering her.
This was somehow meant to help fertility.
All bollux IMHO
Thats all from me tonight as I'm off to an observatory to do some deep sky viewing.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index