122 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tuesday
tuesday
280 posts

Re: what ever has happened to avebury?
Jul 23, 2005, 13:00
i hit 'post before i had finished!

i was going to say - those things aren't improvements in my book - they just make somewhere more 'convenient' - like carparks, sign boards, offical interpretations etc. - Haven't you noticed how often people arrive somewhere and read the sign board (or take a picture) before actually looking at the thing itself (including art) - I do it myself all the time.

Everything being neatly accessible and easy when you arrive doesn't appeal in the same way that being able to get mobile phone reception everywhere on these islands doesn't appeal.

Even remote Callanish is suffering the same fate - it's very odd to see those massive dark windowed coaches creeping down bendy lanes on Lewis, heading straight for the visitor's centre and cafe then moving on twenty minutes later (and your phone works).

But, with regard to Avebury, it is perhaps easy to be snobbish - and it is a village after all, but what is wrong with places being made MORE difficult to get to, less literally informative, more purely experientially based - like the greek monasteries for instance? I challenge the assumption that convenience is best

Also, doesn't making somewhere a 'world heritage centre' freeze its develpoment in a particular and official direction?
I am actualy pleased, that the pagans, cross dressers, diviners, drummers are there if it means that officialdom is held at bay - it's just that I wouldn't particularly want to be around when it's so busy - or buy trinkets and stone burgers - even if they are vegetarian.......
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index