what ever has happened to avebury?

122 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tuesday
tuesday
280 posts

Re: what ever has happened to avebury?
Jul 23, 2005, 14:39
"people don't have to use the pub or the restaurant if they don't want to; they don't have to go to Avebury by car and they don't need to read information boards or go into the two Avebury museums, the National Trust shop or the Henge Shop. For some it will be their first experience of a stone circle and may generate an interest to visit quieter and more remote sites"

of course you are right mate, but these things are difficult to avoid and probably put off many others too!

perhaps there are those who are communal (and probably big hearted) by nature and those who prefer things to feel individual (me). what I see is a well-intentioned and unconciously inexorable move towards institutionalisation, convenience, hegemony and control - not in a conspiracy theory sort of way - it's just an unchallenged assumption that that makes things better

look, part of the way i think is elitist I know and, with respect to rhiannon, I don't think Avebury is 'spoilt' - it's outlasted many things and hopefully 'World Heritage Status' is just the latest....

If sites are better protected because they are institutionalised, that's good but again look at the Greek monasteries - many are a very arduous climb, you have to wear cover-up clothing and there is no beer at the end at the end of the journey. You definately leave with a sense of pilgrimage rather than having had a nice day out........
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index