what ever has happened to avebury?

Pages: 13 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tuesday
tuesday
280 posts

what ever has happened to avebury?
Jul 20, 2005, 15:41
I was completely nonplussed by reading about Avebury in the post 'no topic'. It sounds like one of the last places I would want to be at the solstice. In fact, now I think of it, is it my imagination or has Avebury completely changed over the last few years? I first went there as a child almost twenty five years ago and although I have visited several times since, the last time it just felt like a totally different atmosphere. Maybe that's me. I remember it as a sleepy english village whose inhabitants didn't seem that aware of - or interested in - the stones. The pub was nice (owned, not managed I think). I slept over with a friend in the ditch. Nobody even noticed I think

Still, everything changes...

I like to do something special on the solstice but generally I prefer to visit the sites alone or with one or two others. Big communal parties, collective drumming, faux pagan ceremonies appeal as little as officialdom, information boards, tourist centres and pay-and-display car parks (you know its only a matter of time)

Still, each to his / her own...

When is the quietest time to go to Avebury?
doktoratomik
doktoratomik
379 posts

Re: what ever has happened to avebury?
Jul 20, 2005, 15:48
Yeah, the pub's certainly gone to the dogs ;o)
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Jul 20, 2005, 15:49
I went with my parents a month or two ago in the week, and it was beautifully quiet. Just a few people wandering around and a few outside the cafe. We practically had the place to ourselves. It didn't seem like a crack den, just a nice Wiltshire village. Don't believe the hype. It might be swarming with part-time druids and motorcyclists at the weekends but hey isn't everywhere. I always avoid anywhere wellknown like the plague on pagan high days and holidays, all that drumming and ceremony brings me out in a rash.
doktoratomik
doktoratomik
379 posts

Jul 20, 2005, 15:51
> all that drumming and ceremony brings me out in a rash.

Me too! At least that's what I told the doctor...
Wiggy
1696 posts

Jul 20, 2005, 15:53
Yeah. Me and my girlfriend went to the garden centre a couple of saturdays back - it was swarming with part time druids. All after the mistletoe I suppose. Bastards!!
=;0)
Ishmael
683 posts

Jul 20, 2005, 16:08
>pay-and-display car parks (you know its only a matter of time)
Already here!
The NT installed machines in the main car park last year.
Best times to visit are early morning during the week.
Avoid wednesday evenings as it is biker night at the Red Lion.
tuesday
tuesday
280 posts

Jul 20, 2005, 16:19
>pay-and-display car parks (you know its only a matter of time)
Already here!

ouch! there always seems to be very good arguments for regularising everything but none for de-regularising things. and everything has to pay for itself. is there a traffic warden too? oh dear.

i am sure it's probably nostalgia - it probably isn't very different now than it was then - just the cosy rosy glow of retrospect....

but thanks for the info on quiet times!
PeterH
PeterH
1180 posts

Jul 20, 2005, 16:55
Totally agree with everything you wrote...
Ditto Stonehenge - haven't been to either for years and don't intend to
moss
moss
2897 posts

Jul 20, 2005, 17:00
Go in the week to all these places. Went to Stanton Drew today, not a soul just loads of sheep, calves and and all their poo, plus plenty of thistles - now theres an answer for Avebury!! Stoney Littleton was the same on Monday, not a soul in sight and lots of beautiful wildflowers. Take pictures, bring them home, transfer to computer and enjoy....
PeterH
PeterH
1180 posts

Jul 20, 2005, 17:16
Yes - two of the very best, but for how much longer?
Pages: 13 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index