Avebury »
what ever has happened to avebury?

122 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: what ever has happened to avebury?
Jul 23, 2005, 13:21
The trouble is (as perhaps people'd agree) if some sites don't 'suffer' by being easily accessible plus tourist friendly, then it'll only be us weirdos who visit them, and then lesser sites will suffer because no one in wider society cares. Whatever you think about time team, they've certainly raised interest in archaeology amongst The General Public.
Avebury's not that 'spoilt' is it, really. Especially if you avoid bank holidays. The visitor facilities (cafe, gift shop, huge barn full of info etc) are really rather low key. Even STonehenge as it is now is a peacefullish place after the tourists have gone home, and ok there's a huge car park but the place doesn't look like Land's End (a horror if you ask me).

I actually find something like the skylights in west kennet longbarrow much more offensive because they're there all the time. I know everywhere's been messed with, reused, reinterpreted. In a way that's really interesting because it's the work of people with their human needs and ideas, and we mustn't forget people built the place in the first place.

As someone living in a WH site I appreciate the point about getting 'stuck' with one interpretation and opinion about what's important. Though at the end of the day it doesn't stop Them doing whatever they like anyway (knocking historic buildings down for example) and for another example just look at the Silbury debacle.

waffling
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index