Avebury »
what ever has happened to avebury?

122 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Forrester
77 posts

Re: what ever has happened to avebury?
Jul 22, 2005, 13:03
I only go to avebury once a year, on May day or nearest I can make it to then. I guess it is a sort of Pilgrimage really, but it doesn't hang on any woolly neo spiritual belief system. It is a glorious and mysterious place, and i don't begrudge people whatever spiritual solacethey may get from their visit there, even if it is misguided or flawed. That's why mystery is part of the magic of the place --- everyone can speculate about what this place was, what it may have meant etc. and everyone is about as close to the truth as the next person. I always enjoy sitting in the "Devil's Chair" (which has a convenient space to put your bottle of beer in !) and although the pub isn't all that good, and is expensive, it is quite charming to sit in the middle of a village within a circle, and watch the tourists and other visitors come and go. I'm sorry to hear that there were problems on the Solstice. Avebury isn't oriented to anything astronomical on the midsummer solstice like Stonehenge, or is it? Anyway, who cares? The point is, that as G.K Chesterton said, "When people stop believing in God, they won't believe in nothing, but in anything". I don't think we should be too tight about people who seem a bit odd in their beliefs or intuitions about these sites, because they may grow and become more serious in what they believe over time, and they probably develop an affinity with them. Ancient sites need all the friends they can get. If you want to go somewhere isolated and remote on the solstice etc. why not go to Arbor Low? Callanish! When i was a lad, i usedto go to stonehenge in defiance of the police etc. for the free festivals, and that was just about as strange and bizarre a collection of folks you could get. I was really only there for the rave up and partying back then, but as the years have passed, and i've researched things more, i've grown to love and cherish these places, and to want everyone to repect and care for them.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index