Stonehenge »
Stone Shifting 3

144 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Last Try
Sep 04, 2003, 11:21
That they may have done things ritualistically and perhaps illogically is a fog that we just have to accept.

But to me we would be best doing what we think was the most likely method. If we think the team was small then Gordon’s method is a good one, perhaps the only one, and we’d do well to adopt it. But if we think they called on the raw pulling power of several hundred people then presumably the most likely method would be different, eg. it wouldn’t need such a high tower or such precision or the ambition to drop the stone vertically.

All this “Nigel’s Reservations” stuff comes down to this: Replication or Demonstration.
Do we proceed on the basis of Gordon’s system (as somewhat amended by our input here). If so, fair enough, it’s his project. But in my personal opinion that would be a Demonstration. Or do we come to a consensus as to what we think was the most likely method (and our opinion of the most likely size of the team may determine that). In my personal opinion that would be a sincere attempt at Replication, and I prefer it.

I’m not going to contribute any more to this sub-thread as I’m happy to follow either Gordon’s final decision or a consensus view.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index