Stone Shifting 3

144 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Re: Nigel's reservations
Sep 03, 2003, 12:21
I don't agree that we should dumb-down the erection just 'cos someone might be offended if we didn't use ropes and oxen. However, I agree that stone rowing is the "ace" idea. Especially since Gordon says he can do it up a hill. That alone would "Wow" the archaeological establishment without denting too many egos and would have implications for other historical sites world-wide. It's also much less of a problem from a H&S point of view. Working at height is the biggest cause of injury in the construction industry and is therefore the most legislated.

Earlier I suggested that we take two days. One to row the stones and one to erect them. Gordon didn't like this because he feels that "done in one day" is the big headline. However, I'm not suggesting that we do these things back-to-back. Why not demonstrate the efficiency of stone rowing at a much earlier stage and get some major cred? We are then in a far stronger position (for sponsorship, etc.) to go for the big one where funding will be a big issue. Transporting a 40 ton stone across a river would also be an impressive achievement because we could then combine our experience to give a fairly accurate assessment for how long it would have taken to bring the stones from Wales.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index