Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Stonehenge »
Stone Shifting 3

144 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
GordonP
474 posts

Re: My problem (well the one I'll admit to)
Sep 03, 2003, 20:33
The problem of the Easter Island statues was the thing that bought the stone moving problem to my attention. Since reading the Kon Tiki Expedition as a schoolboy Thor Hyderthal has been something of an hero to me. (He also wrote among many others a book on Easter Island).

What that has to do with the present subject I don't know, but someone mentioned Easter Island.

Stone rowing/erection. After proving to myself (with the 4 ton stone) that stone rowing was feasible, I began to think "wouldn't it be wonderful if I could think of a way to erect the stones using the same simple tools, levers and logs." At no time did I limit my thoughts to doing it with a limited number of people, my thoughts were never limited to the number of people that had moved the stone, if 200 were required for the erection that would not have mattered. I was thinking only of utilising the same simple tools. No ramps, no massive "A" frames, no ropes, not in the quantity used in the ramp method anyway, just levers and logs.

The problem rolled around in my brain for ages, I thought of dozens of ways to try but abandoned them all as unworkable. Then one day when I had almost given up, I found myself thinking of Fred Dibnar (I was doing some heavy physical work at the time and my mind had just wandered off) and how he bought down factory chimneys with wooden props and fire. Urecka!!! Fire!! that was the answer, just reverse the proccess.

I threw down the shovel and went off to make a model. It worked every time. The fact that even fewer men would be needed to erect the stones was just a bonus, levers and logs, nothing else, mattered.

That is the true story, the archaeolists can like it or lump it.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index