Stone Shifting 3

144 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
GordonP
474 posts

Re: Pre-shaped logs
Sep 02, 2003, 18:04
Hi Steve
Yes I know notching the logs would be time consuming but all this can be done before the event. If we use logs with an average diameter of say 6in and reduce the notched part to 4in, that is to say we take a bit off each side of the log just at the notched point we end up with a square section joint. If we make this joint loose enough to accomadate any of the logs we can tighten the loose joints with flying wedges. this would enable us to biuld the tower very quickly and the weight of the stone would hold it all together.

We can use the weight of the stone another way too. As we erect the tower when the need arises we can create platforms around the tower by inserting logs into the tower to form a canterlever platform complete with guard rails if necessary.

I'm still convinenced the stones were launched from the sloping side. I've been studying the film of the 4 ton experiment. At the time I didn't know about the sloping side of the hole, so dug my hole with four virtical sides but made it overbig just to be on the safe side. As the stone entered the hole at less than vertical the inside face of the stone catches the inside face of the hole stopping the stones rotation.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index