Stone Shifting 3

144 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: Last Try
Sep 04, 2003, 09:24
They do know where they were quarried. As I mentioned earlier, there is an unfinished one over 60ft long in the quarry. It is lying down and is partially carved.

So, it is safe to say that they were at least 'partly' sculpted before moving them (to save on weight presumably) and that they were carved lying down.

I can't see that they would have stood them up before transporting them as a sane thing to do. Saying that the head cult was pretty insane anyway. It was very much a "My tribe's head is beiiger than your tribe's head" thing. As each tribe bettered the other two they responded with bigger and better.

I suppose they may have moved them standing up to really rub in the scale of the new head to the other tribes. That could have been worth the effort in the circumstances.

I am not sure if there's evidence of the heads being finished off in situ, but if they were then scaffolding would have been needed.

Anyway ... we digress ...

All I wanted to say is that just because something is obvious doesn't make it definite. Even if Gordon's method was known it may have been "ritualistically" important that each stone was dragged into place by 500 people. We will never know.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index