2045 posts

Re: pavlov's dog
May 09, 2005, 21:22
well, if it's looking for a new home i'll worm it and take it walks... cheers
keith a
9574 posts

Re: wishbone ash
May 09, 2005, 21:52
A mate of mine is a big W Ash fan, and Argos is his fave.

They're still going in one form or another (or at least were till recently)
keith a
9574 posts

Re: Derek Shulman interview from 1991
May 09, 2005, 21:55
I still love Kites. Great single. Quite like the Associates version, too!
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Re: Derek Shulman interview from 1991
May 09, 2005, 22:10
yeah- I still love it too!

I forgot all about that Associates version.
Billy Milk
Billy Milk
2045 posts

Re: gentle giant
May 09, 2005, 23:18
octopus was my first - cos of the roger dean sleeve. still love that album... think of me with kindness still gets the hairs on the back of the neck, spoilt though by the worst middle eight in history, redeemed by the trumpet solo.... freehand i like and in a glasshouse is stonking too. got the recent box set also. three discs of out-takes, rehearsals, work tapes, live recordings and a fourth mp3 disc with loads of bootlegs, interviews and loads of samples to wang in the akai. anyone seen the dvd? fackin' hilarious. really. x
Billy Milk
Billy Milk
2045 posts

Re: it's TRUE!!
May 09, 2005, 23:21
that's a funny one that magma dvd innit?
Billy Milk
Billy Milk
2045 posts

Re: wishbone ash
May 09, 2005, 23:33
argos is their accepted classic, but i really like new england. bought it on the same day i bought the first stranglers album. it was the week i had to make my mind up whether i was going to be a punk or a hippy. came down on punk's side but still played new england a lot on my own in my bedroom. with headphones on. it's the one with the grey cover and a pic of a bloke sharpening a stick. it's an enigmatic album. interesting time that - the few months when punk and prog rubbed shoulders. man released the welsh connection which had a sprightly gait. going for the one by yes was better than most dared admit, particularly the title track which was positively nosebleed by yes's standard. parallels is good too, one of chris squire's greatest moments. it was also the time i discovered reggae too and that put a different spin on everything. prog bands can never do reggae, whatever they may think. that's the thing that divides the old wave and the new...
Billy Milk
Billy Milk
2045 posts

Re: relayer/refugee/yes top 5
May 09, 2005, 23:42
c'mon... relayer's brilliant, especially the gates of delerium. the middle where it all breaks down into an aural depiction of armageddon is brilliant and then the release of 'soooooon, oh soon the night...' - it's the maverick in yes's canon because of the presence of patrick moraz, the strangely-haired swiss keyboard whizzo who obviously had a completely diofferent set of synths to moogy wakeman. some of the tones on there are purely glacial. i always thought that the winterscape of dean's monochrome badger sleeve was the perfect taster for the frigid thrills within. it's my number two yes album. anyone heard refugee's sole album - that was the band that he was in before yes? i loved that at the time but ain't heard it in donkies. here's my yes top 5 albums:
1) topo
2) relayer
3) close to the edge
4) Going for the one
5) the yes album

i'll see myself out....
Billy Milk
Billy Milk
2045 posts

Re: nasty prog
May 09, 2005, 23:47
tbhink it was pretty much the same then as it is now. so much shit music but plenty of good stuff if you dug around. a common mistake made by lazy writers is that ALL music in the 5 years before punk was shit. it wasn't. just that the most popular 'album' bands had grown lazy and twatty. anyway after the first five years following punk, it turned shit again... mostly...
Billy Milk
Billy Milk
2045 posts

Re: nasty prog
May 09, 2005, 23:48
sigur ros!!

now there's a shit band
Pages: 21 – [ Previous | 112 13 14 15 16 17 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index