nasty prog

Pages: 21 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
silogut
silogut
432 posts

nasty prog
May 07, 2005, 00:23
come on kids whats the shitest prog record you have laid out hard earned cash for? I am talking grossout cover art, impossibily conceited concept/lyrical themes, chuckworthy time changes etc. I was gonna elect Moving Pictures by Rush. Once reccomended to me by a fan who said they got 'really good lyrics cos there right wing man' erm yeah must check it out! and I did -it is the work of juveniel-spaz-twits only topped by them privvy breaths Mars Volta
Lugia
970 posts

Re: nasty prog
May 07, 2005, 00:57
Hands down: Tritonus - "Between the Universes". Wonky, overblown Kraut-prog mess, not really salvaged even by its one Berlin-school-ish knockoff instrumental. Was one of my first expensive import LP miscues after having bought many of the great Kraut masters. I blame the old Jem Imports catalog and some of their over-enthusiastic descriptions for this fiasco...
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

May 07, 2005, 01:02
Approaching buying an album which could in any way be classed as prog-rock makes me very wary. With the sheer amount of horrible prog rock out there, it's a bit like walking through a room with pins all over the floor in bare feet. I definitely need to turn the light on by checking the net and any other sources before buying, just to be on the safe side. This means I've on the whole managed to avoid really dire stuff. Even so, I've still been burned occasionally...

Blitzkrieg by Wallenstein made me want to gouge my ear-drums out with a rusty screwdriver.

Any Soft Machine album after Wyatt left generally makes me want to heave.

Roger Dean artwork has always been enough to put me off buying anything wrapped in it, so he's inadvertantly saved me from ever having to hear Yes or their ilk.

Spooky Tooth/Pierre Henry - Ceremony
May look like an interesting idea on paper, which is what made me buy it. The reality is an abortion.

Pavlov's Dog - Pampered Menial
I never even made it to the end of this. Too horrible for words. Never played it again, but still can't banish the memory of that one incomplete play of it.

Michael Hoenig - Departure from the Northern Wasteland
Everything I'd read about this claimed it was a lost classic of electronic music. It actually turned out to be a hideous monstrosity of New Age synth shite that would have even Jean Michel Jarre running from the room.

Pink Floyd - The Wall
Hideously self-indulgent sprawlingly unfocused miseryfest, complete with cynical punk-bandwagon-jumping anti-school wallet-lining single.

Gong - Shamal
Fucking horrible insipid jazz-infused (yeuch) rock. A waste of time and money for everyone involved in recording, releasing, buying and listening to it.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

May 07, 2005, 01:06
'Tales From Topographic Oceans' by Yes

When I was twelve, my older brother had the early Yes albums up until 'Close To The Edge' - he then went off them.
I quite like(d) C.T.T.E., then a schoolmate at the time bought the HEAP OF UTTER SHITE that is that 'Tales.....' album....
Fuck! it's so bad it's untrue!

Now....brace yourselves...I once bought the first album by Irish Proggers- FRUUPP....hell....I was confused.....Ziggy had retired......I was lost.....the bloke at Cob Records in porthmadog told me FRUUPP were living in germany....I....I....oh hell......

http://www-dcrp.ced.berkeley.edu/Cervero/fruuppband.htm

8-I
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

May 07, 2005, 02:09
brain

salad

surgery
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

ELP
May 07, 2005, 04:09
I appear to be one of the few ELP fans left in the universe, but even I have to agree BSS is archytipical prog crud from the meaningless pompous title to the dated cover art . . . and then there's the 35 minute song about guillotines and vaseline . . . .

But their "Works" albums are far, far worse! I dare anyone to listen to Greg Lake's side of "Works vol. 1" all the way through (tho I haven't)!!!

Love Beach was actually something of an improvement!
silogut
silogut
432 posts

Re: ELP
May 07, 2005, 05:12
thanks for the tip off, |I don't know why but ELP had never occured to me before. hmmm now if only I could find love beach on a ridiculously expensive japanese import...
BUBBLEHEAD
BUBBLEHEAD
982 posts

May 07, 2005, 09:22
Yor are SO right about TFTO. Even during my brief flirtation with prog c.75-76 I could not find a single redeeming feature on it.
BUBBLEHEAD
BUBBLEHEAD
982 posts

May 07, 2005, 09:27
Todd Rundgren's Utopia (s/t) is interminable.
Zos
389 posts

May 07, 2005, 09:27
Ceremony, eh? Er, I quite like it - would be far better if Spooky Tooth's actual tunes were stronger and the lyrics didn't come over as a sort of doomy Sunday school session. I like how the electronic processing wildly oscillates from the pretty cool to the ridiculously inappropriate (the "buh-buh-bu-bu-buh" voice on Jubilation never fails to crack a smile). It actually reminds me of two favorites - Logos and Dr. Faustus by Igor Wakhevitch, which are far more successful hybrids of rock and 'serious' electronic music.

Worst prog ever? Well, someone once played me a Spock's Beard cd. Ouch.
Pages: 21 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index