Negative Reviews

Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Do it!
Jul 11, 2004, 15:20
But maybe it would work better as an article rather than a review of a compilation. Are people allowed to submit articles for the articles section, or is that bit "staff only"?

Anyhoo, one thing I've always thought bears further investigation is the late psych/garage crossover into early bubblegum e.g. "Sunshine Games" by the Music Explosion was a Kasenetz-Katz (Super K) production. It's damn good too! Some of the true bubblegum acts' album tracks are a bit of a mynd excursion as well e.g. "Turn to Straw" by Ohio Express.
wreckmyheaven
wreckmyheaven
51 posts

Check your EGO at the door
Jul 11, 2004, 15:29
I'd rather have one review of a true "UNSUNG" album posted a year than wade through the garbage that has been posted in the reviews section lately. A review that gets me excited about an album...makes me hungry to find it...or engage in trading with someone. In my opinion that is what this forum is about.

It seems to me that people feel some sort of competition and/or inferiority to one reviewer...need I say it..."The Seth Man". To me, Unsung is not about competing...it is about sharing. Who cares, who posts the most reviews a year. I sure don't. Some people are great writers, some aren't. So what. When you share with friends, do you share things you love or hate? Positive or Negative?

Once again, this is just my thought. Go ahead and slag me, becuase when I come back to see how people respond to this post, my EGO will be checked at the door!
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: Negative Reviews
Jul 11, 2004, 15:30
I've got a bubblegum 3LP set called Superbubble I got last yr in Buffalo -- quite good although not everything is "bubblegum" but does have some forgotten one hit wonders that still play on oldies radio, such as "Hitching A Ride" and "Brandy".
gorseddphungus
185 posts

Re: DO THE SENSIBLE THING...
Jul 11, 2004, 15:34
That is true but unfortunately, i guess this is a website with limited (financial and other) capability. if everyone who joins here gladly posts a review of their favourite band then the people who made the site may begin to wonder if there isn't another space on the web for, say, your favourite morris dancers revival bands. The same is true of electronic music, i am fond of it but my common sense tells me not to post a review in a site which greets and welcomes you inviting you to champion 'obscure rock and roll'. Perhaps the guidelines are not clear enough but they are to me. I know someone will come up with 'ambiguous' examples and exceptions to the rule but we all are sensible enough to know what is meant by that.
Mrs Ahab
Mrs Ahab
1138 posts

Re: Check your EGO at the door
Jul 11, 2004, 15:57
My thoughts too. When i read a review i hope it will make me want to hear it more than anything else, of course that wont allways happen but that should be the point. Some posts i have read I feel are written in a way where they strike accord with those who have allready heard it more than being an inspiration to hear it. Sometimes i think they tell me more about the person writing it than the music.
Some one mentioned having an articles slot , surley the forum could be used in this way. I am worried though about were this will go though, it seems rather unkind to remove someones post and single them out when they have spent time on it however i think their should be some kind of standard or critera. I know this website is free but perhaps i could liken it to this, when i buy a magazine i like to know, to an extent, what i can expect. If we had to submit reviews before posting i think that would be fairer, spare people the agrevation of having it removed. there are plenty of other places to post a review if it didnt meet the spec, but im sure that would just be too much work.
I think this thread was uneccacarily headed 'negative' i enjoyed reading the elp review it made me laugh and i didnt think it was negative, but it didnt make we want to hear it at all (and i think i could be persuaded). Unsung is a great place to be creative and all this has only made me feel way too nervous about posting my next review which i just finnished, bad timing huh. I'm not sure what my point was now but thats my thoughts, for what its worth.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Hot Poop to go!
Jul 11, 2004, 16:13
of course were the counterfactual happ4ening to have happened the 2 bands would have sounded diferent. ELP would not have been the bombastic crew they were, tempered by the prtesence of HEndrix . Plus Hendrix would've been firing off a different band chemistry.
I heard he wasn't the biggest fan of Noe;l Redding I wonder how he would've fared with E&L (I heard that P wasn't a fixed part of thgis package yet)
Stevo
Np Swans Various Failures When She Breathes
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Check your EGO at the door
Jul 11, 2004, 16:20
I really hate the idea of this being some kind pf competition. I think that kind of atmosphere has seriously marred a couple cof chatlists that I'm on.
Where overbearing dicks (not that I've encountered too much of that here) want to show off who's boss.
I would t6hink that was very deytrimental top people posting reviews. Unless you want to have an elite who post and a bunch of people who are in thrall and merely read i think thatr's entirely the wrong tack.
I like the idea of a non-hierarchical place where people will post if and when they feel inspired. I had the idea that was a widespread feeling.
Stevo
Np SWans Why Are WE Alive?
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: nipple sex
Jul 11, 2004, 16:21
Mad Donna must be cool, she's got the Stooges opening for her at Slaine & she used to date Gira or sumfin.
Stevo
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Superbubble
Jul 11, 2004, 16:39
Yeah! That K-tel style LP with the 70's chick blowing a bubble on the cover . . . I have that one too!

I agree "bubblegum" is an unfairly neglected subgenre. The ORIGINAL reaction against all that prog nonsense, its musically close to punk rock (3 chords and a pounding beat -- the Ramones arguably have more in common with the 1910 Fruitgum Company than the Stooges.)
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Sung/Unsung?
Jul 11, 2004, 17:03
I have no idea what Suede sounds like, and I work at a radio station.

Assuming "everyone" has heard of them is awfully provincial -- apparently this is a popular UK group, but they are little known across the ocean.
Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index