Negative Reviews

Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Re: Negative Reviews
Jul 11, 2004, 18:56
"all it was was a suggestion from judge jules and not me that tanz is not wonderful and pales in comparison to other duul output "

But I'd referenced his opinion as expressed in 'Krautrocksampler' the first and last paragraphs of my review myself. I didn't feel that you posting up a caveat straight after I'd spent a good couple of hours writing that review was really necessary. And it did feel like my opinion was being rubbished. And I still think your comments should have been posted on this forum. If everyone else was putting up caveats masquerading as reviews straight after someone had posted a review of an album they love you'd be the first to jump on their back about it.
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Jul 11, 2004, 19:08
Dog's review may make a few people want to check out some ELP even if just out of curiosity. It may make others dig out some ELP that they own. Like me , as I am currently listening to CD 1 of my 2CD ELP compilation and Im loving it and even the annoying bits I am currently putting up with.
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Jul 11, 2004, 19:11
i stand by it

i know and knew that you would have explored and come up with your conclusions based on a long association with tanz and respect that you do that - all the post is meant to suggest is for others who hadnt already done so to explore duul further and to then make up their own minds on tanz with that greater awareness in toe of the other far more unsung n championed duuls - this being hh and the posting in context as a companion piece to krautrocksampler then jules comments appeared to me perfectly relevant
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Jul 11, 2004, 19:16
for your info i am currently spending a few minutes exploring numerous elp outputs - and i doubt whether i would have done without all the postings

conclusions so far

elp were and still are shit and do not deserve many minutes of your attention

maybe in another 10 years or so ill will change my mind and i might also come to like psb - but i doubt it very much!!!
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Jul 11, 2004, 19:20
"jules comments appeared to me perfectly relevant"

Which is why, in MY review I wrote:
"I was surprised to read Julian describing it as a piece of ‘pedestrian shit’ several years later in Krautrocksampler."

and

"In the notes to his Krautrock Top 50 Julian says: “Of course, this list is not exhaustive and is based on the records that I personally know and love.(…) And if I missed your favourite one out, well excuse me.” Fair enough, but I thought a case should be made for this record as it’s my favourite Amon Düül II release after 'Phallus Dei'"

I thought that I'd managed to make the point adequately and still don't think it needed you to post up what you did, in the REVIEWS section.

Still, that was then, and I've made made my point, I think.
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Jul 11, 2004, 19:28
and hopefully my friend a few more will now go out and seek it or play it and see for themselves

like u said that was then

actually the last few years i have come to like tanz more and more and the likes of carnival and made in germany less and less to the extent that tanz would be in me top 50 or so and carnival and made would be playing conference footie

so times changes and we all do too!

yeti
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Jul 11, 2004, 19:32
Blanket condemnation is very uninformative.

What's your favorite adjective for ELP again? "Shitty! Shittyshittyshittyshitty!" We heard you the first 5 times already.

Light a candle bub.

And furthermore I don't see any point to posting up a short, uninformative and non-personal "review" that can easily be summed up in one sentence:

"Julian Cope wrote about this record, and I agree with everything he said."

Arfanaardvark's reviews are just as informative, and more amusing.
Lugia
970 posts

Jul 11, 2004, 19:37
Quite agree, LL...to me, the review section is not so much about 'rock-n-roll' so much as it is about HEAD music...music that gets in thru the ears and infects the mind with its particular musical intoxication. And, right, this includes certain jazz, avant, industrial, techno, etc etc etc...whatever exists in any genre that transcends just being a mass of notes and noises to become some interesting trouble. Comes in thru the ears and openes the eyes, y'know?

Back in the not-all-that-distant past, there was a good bit of interplay between all these things. Members of the Dead and the Airplane attended Stockhausen's lectures at U Cal Davis in the mid-60s. Miles recruited funk and R&B players for his later albums. Folkie John Fahey palled around with The Red Crayola. And so on. And the results were amazing work that often pushed the boundaries of, or totally defied, categorization.

However, in the past couple of decades, there's been a rush to get everything pigeonholed. And some people go along with this, while others of us realize that you've GOT TO have this vast mish-mash of 'head music' to get the true picture. Formatting might work for radio, but for getting a handle on music...especially THIS music...you have to throw those limitations out.

So I have to agree with LL here...this shouldn't be all about JUST rock, because rock itself isn't even just about rock, at least not when it's done well. It all makes up part of a bigger and wilder picture.
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Jul 11, 2004, 19:38
which is the very point that the spring clean is about
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Jul 11, 2004, 19:53
"elp were and still are shit and do not deserve many minutes of your attention"

By 'your' do you mean yourself, or your as everyone in general (blanketing) or do you mean me and telling me what I should pay my own attention to.
Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index