January drudion & I've had it with the Drude's xenophobic insinuations

68 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: Mole...
Jan 11, 2008, 17:04
Cultural understanding doesn't have to mean that one silences oneself when confronted with human bondage. There is still slavery practiced in the world. That doesn't qualify as a 'custom'. It's slavery, plain and simple.

This attitude that one must respect (or ignore) abuse out of some misplaced notion of 'tolerance' just doesn't wash.

And I don't mean that this is a justification for war! But if one is going to say that everything goes in the name of 'cultural respect', then we might as well close up the Human Rights organizations, might as well sign off on the victims of the world (the mass killings in Sudan? Just a 'cultural' thing? I think not)

Most important is that a culture be able to openly examine it's OWN abuses and deal with them. Of course, this is the problem with parts of the world where human rights are not respected: There is a symbiotic failure of that culture to discard it's self serving dogma, recognize its own hypocrisy, and correct it's wrongs.

The old Jim Crow laws in the US weren't defeated because the Northern States decided to 'respect' that odious element of southern culture. It was defeated because people made some noise and took action, and rightfully so.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index