68 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Edited Jan 07, 2008, 15:41
Re: January drudion & I've had it with the Drude's xenophobic insinuations
Jan 07, 2008, 15:40
Bonzo the Cat wrote:

I'll say more: even though I am probably one of the most anti-religious people I know, I'm still not sure whether that does me any real good. I mean, if religion didn't "work" on some level, people would have stopped believing long ago.

The thought of my daughter being forced through societal expectations to wear a veil, or marry who she's told to makes me feel sick, so I feel sick for all the pooor girls and women who are to do so too (else they might become pariahs or dead).

The thought of my nephews (I don't have a son) todger being adapted as a babe through some religious requirement makes me sick too.

Now if a woman matures enough to make the choice of wearing a veil or to ask her dad to pick her husband, and a man decides when he's old enough to go for circumcision, then up to them. The fact this happens to young girls too (without any anaesthetic as if it wasn't bad enough!) is heartbreaking.
Dawkins cites that sort of thing as child abuse - and he's right.

**BTW I'm not strictly a Dawkins groupie, I just happen to find alot of what he says I've always felt too.**

There are tons more of course.
Point is, as soon as you criticise a religion en mass you are accused of racism. Why? Obviously the a-holes of this world can't separate the two, and will call Sikhs and Hindus 'Muslims' just for conveniece.
I detest and feel opposed to many of the enforced culutural trappings of religion. If they happen in Afghanistan, or Iraq or Africa, does that mean I hate Afghanis,Iraqis, or Africans? Eh, no. Those are simply human beings, some will be good, some will be gits, and if you don't care to separate that from what they have been 'labelled' then that's the worst sort of ism there is (bugger knows what to call it though!)

I have C of E on my birht certificate. Why? Sez fucking who?
We never ever went to church!
Thankfully, that is no longer a requirement, but decades back you were required to culturally label your kid soon as they were born.

So I'm afraid religion sucks eggs all round - and the reason 'we' haven't learned to live without it is, eh, power, fear, etc etc.

Rant done.

x
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index