Silbury Hill »
When Silbury is tunnelled

182 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
BrigantesNation
1733 posts

Re: Hang on Hang on !
Jun 03, 2005, 12:58
I love the way everyone who posts on this forum with a similar point of view gets grouped into a "clique", and if one person says something, instantly the whole "clique" must agree!

I've read a lot of rants regarding Silbury on here and I would say all of them are aimed at EH and the overall management of the hill. A further cause of rants can be called "the system", for it is one that will end up overspending seriously simply bwecause EH cannot seem to be able to do any archaeology these days without their being either a "cheap option" (do the research with the repairs budget) or a tourism dividend. The cost of piggybacking on the repairs, since it will greatly expand the excavated space and delay the project is getting a bit out of control so now there is the innevitable "tourism dividend". The trouble is, tourism (if its going to happen via a public tunnel) will need even more excavated space since there will have to be adequate and safe space ofr the public.

I don't think any poster on this board is anti-archaeologist at all, though I know there's often a lot of heat generated on this subject.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index