182 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Tilting the World: an open letter to Julian
May 31, 2005, 21:41
Dear Julian

You may not read this post but I thought I'd write it anyway... just in case.

There's no doubt in my mind that you are as concerned about Silbury as most of us here. Having said that, you might feel, as some of us also feel, that there's so much information, misinformation, suggestions, proposals and counter proposals about Silbury's future that a kind of inertia sets in and you almost hope someone else will sort it out. Perhaps someone else <i>will</i> sort it out but I've got a horrible feeling that they wont, and this wonderful enigmatic structure we call Silbury will crumble and fall before its time. So, and I'm really trying to keep this short and simple, what do we do?

I was making my usual cup of coffee about 10:30 this morning when I picked up a news report about Bob Geldof's forthcoming <b>Live 8 Concert</b>. Bob is reported as saying...

"Once more into the breach. What started 20 years ago is coming to a political point in a few weeks. There is more than a chance that the boys and girls with guitars finally get to tilt the world on its axis. What we do in the next five weeks is seriously, properly, historically, politically important."

I stirred my coffee, took a sip, smiled and thought of Silbury. What we do for Silbury in the next few weeks or months is indeed seriously, properly, and historically important and, if Bob can do it for <i>his</i> cause, we can do it for ours. So, how about a <b>Concert to Save Silbury</b>? Plenty of music, a few guest speakers, a poetry reading perhaps, all mixed in with the ideas that others will certainly have. I may be able to pull in a few luminaries from the world of conservation if you can organize a venue. What about it? Let's 'tilt the world our way' for a change and see if we can't save this Old Lady of the Downs for a little while longer.

Sincerely

Littlestone
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index