47 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
phallus dei
583 posts

Edited Apr 27, 2015, 17:15
Re: Citizen Cain'd
Apr 27, 2015, 17:13
Captain Starlet wrote:
Can't see how much it was engaging with the masses when the busking tour saw them playing in cropped fields in the middle of nowhere. The whole concept for me just rang hollow, as does the whole 'revolution' thing. Hardly anyone knows who he is anymore and less people care about what he's doing now, rather prefer the older days. The handful of people who went to the gigs were most probably the more die hard fans and a spattering of others who fancied a bit of a break during the day. And what happened to the Black Sheep film that was supposed to come out?

For me the whole thing was a flash in the pan idea that Cope quickly lost interest in n the whole a complete failure.

Yeah, I wish he had made the film, too.... But if I recall, correctly, Cope and Co. were also talking about a Brain Donor film back in the early 2000's that never saw the light of day, either. Cope's obviously quite flighty with his ideas, doing what inspires him for the moment and then quickly jettisoning it when he looses interest, even if the idea he had been working on still has potential for more development. And he hasn't really been making music for his established fan-base since what, 1989? He's basically been making music for himself since then, and the fans that he has are ones who can appreciate the sudden twists 'n turns in his output.

For me, the Black Sheep era was a particularly energized, stylistically and conceptually consistent episode in Cope's career. Could it have been done better? Of course. But judged within the parameters of Cope's output, particularly after '96 when he ditched "real" record labels entirely, I find the Black Sheep era to be quite impressive.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index