Citizen Cain'd

Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Citizen Cain'd
Apr 22, 2015, 15:25
Been listening to this a lot lately, and I think it's fair to say my previous opinions of it were a tad unfair. Although still not impressed with the hackneyed riffs and production I kind of 'get it' now and, for the most part, enjoying it. I think previously I was just looking at the riffs and production I was missing out on the songs themselves, so happy I dug it out and gave it another go.

Would be interested if anyone's heard of any new music on the horizon?
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Re: Citizen Cain'd
Apr 22, 2015, 16:08
Captain Starlet wrote:
Been listening to this a lot lately, and I think it's fair to say my previous opinions of it were a tad unfair. Although still not impressed with the hackneyed riffs and production I kind of 'get it' now and, for the most part, enjoying it. I think previously I was just looking at the riffs and production I was missing out on the songs themselves, so happy I dug it out and gave it another go.

I had a similar experience with Revolutionary Suicide this week. OK, it still isn't in my top 5 JC albums, but there are some great tracks on there, and a lot of humour.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Apr 22, 2015, 16:26
I'm like about 50% of that album, some great songs, but still (for me) a lot of filler. Maybe stepping away for a few years might help? :)
machineryelf
3681 posts

Apr 22, 2015, 16:32
Squid Tempest wrote:
Captain Starlet wrote:

I had a similar experience with Revolutionary Suicide this week. OK, it still isn't in my top 5 JC albums, but there are some great tracks on there, and a lot of humour.

I really rate Revolutionary Suicide, put off getting it because I didn't think much of Psychedelic Revolution [too much dinky keyboards] but I think RS is a real return to form , The Armenian Genocide is a Cope top ten IMHO. Thought Citizen Cain was fab too, my critical faculties aren't up to much obviously
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Apr 22, 2015, 16:37
I was exactly the same with RS, wasn't impressed with PR and still not. I was going to give Dark Orgasm another go but for some reason disc 2 only seems to be about 4 minutes long on my dying iPod!
machineryelf
3681 posts

Apr 22, 2015, 16:44
I saw some of the PR songs live , just Cope and a mellotron, before I heard the CD and was impressed. Somewhere in the studio they lost the magic. Not sure if there is live footage of Cromwell In Ireland on youtube, if so watch it and weep at the lost possibilities.Can't get on with the Brain Donor or Rite stuff but otherwise it's all fine IMHO In the interests of showing some critical viewpoint I could probably live without You've Got A Problem and 20 Mothers but at some point would miss them.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Apr 22, 2015, 17:08
I've never liked that song, apart from the album there's only a 2012 festival version I've seen. I like the earlier Donor stuff and a fair bit of the rite stuff. Not really digging the recent stuff though, just really feeling like there's a lot of lost potential
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Apr 22, 2015, 18:43
Apr 22, 2015, 18:41
That was his last fully realised record as far as I am concerned and that era coincided with his last great band. Then again I think it's the Velvets-alike bands who sound hackneyed these days. The kind of metal that was first around when TTE first came on the scene sounds vital by comparison and I loved how he tapped into that power source.

The Black Sheep branding was really well done but those records are ephemera by comparison with the sweep of albums from Peggy to Dark Orgasm. That whole project seemed cynical and half baked to me but I know that is probably a minority opinion. If you told me that his heart hadn't really been fully in it since the DO tour then I wouldn't be surprised.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Apr 22, 2015, 19:25
Captain Starlet wrote:
feeling like there's a lot of lost potential

People have been saying that since the first Teardrops LP haven't they?
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Apr 22, 2015, 20:52
IanB wrote:

The Black Sheep branding was really well done but those records are ephemera by comparison with the sweep of albums from Peggy to Dark Orgasm. That whole project seemed cynical and half baked to me but I know that is probably a minority opinion. If you told me that his heart hadn't really been fully in it since the DO tour then I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm not sure if it is a minority opinion - I would suspect those of us that dig most of the recent material would feel in a minority. For me the weakest of the recent albums is You Gotta Problem With Me but I do actually like a lot of that material - I love Woden for example. I meant to reply to someone in a thread a while back who said they hated the vocals for Woden, for me there is just something v moving and wonderful about them! But in hindsight, for me YGPWM is just too many styles in the one album - it comes across as a bridging album between different phases. But I think the Black Sheep trilogy is marvelous - his heart is truly in it (The Armenian Genocide?). He drops his cohorts and increasingly they become solo albums. Of the three I think Psychedelic Revolution is the weakest coherent album but it has Raving on the Moor, Hooded and Benign, X-Mass in the Woman's Shelter, Roswell and Death of Rock 'n' Roll - 5 of the finest Cope tracks in my view. I was never a fan of Cromwell in Ireland until Trip Advizer where it works in the sequencing better for me - on PR for me it grates with the aforementioned tracks hence perhaps why I don't like the album as a whole so much. But add in the Donor albums etc and it's an excellent body of work for me.

Did someone in this thread ask if there was new material? At his London gig he said to look out for his forthcoming cycle of drinking songs - Liver as Big as Hartlepool etc presumably. But then at Reading years back he mentioned his rock opera so who knows!
Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index