IanB
6761 posts

Re: Citizen Cain'd
Apr 26, 2015, 16:05
phallus dei wrote:
IanB wrote:
phallus dei wrote:
Captain Starlet wrote:
I never brought KMSA as at that time I wasn't exactly enamoured with listening to Cope. The whole Black Sheep revolutionary thing has never really left me convinced.

The Black Sheep era always struck me as completely sincere, reflecting the excitement of someone who was seriously delving into our collective revolutionary history for the very first time and considering the possibilities of systemic and radical change.

I don't think it was insincere I just think it was creatively more than a bit half-baked in a Tony James, Sigue Sigue Sputnik / Carbon-Silicon, concept-first-songwriting-later-if-we-really-have-to kind of a way.

I'd agree that Black Sheep was probably a case of "concept first, music afterward", but in this case it was a concept that worked. As a form of street theater, supposedly meant to "shock the masses out of their stupor", I thought the Black Sheep project was viable. Yeah, like most fringe musicians, Cope was still only speaking to his established audience, but at least conceptually, the idea of he and his Black Sheep boys marching down London's streets, spontaneously playing a few songs/chants to a bewildered audience of passers-by, was a way to engage "the masses" and reach out of his narrow fan-base. I thought it was quite brilliant and totally right-on.

I dunno how much engaging the masses actually happened. The masses haven't had a clue who Cope is for about 25 years so it's only going to connect if it is really well done and/or you have fantastic tunes. I have seen Reverend Billy and his Church of Stop Shopping do that kind music-led street theatre come agitprop thing up close a couple of times and he is just at another level entirely in terms of getting civilians engaged. They also run the kind of personal risks in taking their protest directly to the police line on the streets that you never see rock 'n' rollers doing. In the end the Black Sheep concept just rang a bit hollow to me and the individual parts didn't seem to make a cohesive whole what with the nutty Drudions and the quasi-survivalist gun play and the stab vest thing etc etc.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index