47 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
riverman
riverman
845 posts

Re: Citizen Cain'd
Apr 22, 2015, 20:52
IanB wrote:

The Black Sheep branding was really well done but those records are ephemera by comparison with the sweep of albums from Peggy to Dark Orgasm. That whole project seemed cynical and half baked to me but I know that is probably a minority opinion. If you told me that his heart hadn't really been fully in it since the DO tour then I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm not sure if it is a minority opinion - I would suspect those of us that dig most of the recent material would feel in a minority. For me the weakest of the recent albums is You Gotta Problem With Me but I do actually like a lot of that material - I love Woden for example. I meant to reply to someone in a thread a while back who said they hated the vocals for Woden, for me there is just something v moving and wonderful about them! But in hindsight, for me YGPWM is just too many styles in the one album - it comes across as a bridging album between different phases. But I think the Black Sheep trilogy is marvelous - his heart is truly in it (The Armenian Genocide?). He drops his cohorts and increasingly they become solo albums. Of the three I think Psychedelic Revolution is the weakest coherent album but it has Raving on the Moor, Hooded and Benign, X-Mass in the Woman's Shelter, Roswell and Death of Rock 'n' Roll - 5 of the finest Cope tracks in my view. I was never a fan of Cromwell in Ireland until Trip Advizer where it works in the sequencing better for me - on PR for me it grates with the aforementioned tracks hence perhaps why I don't like the album as a whole so much. But add in the Donor albums etc and it's an excellent body of work for me.

Did someone in this thread ask if there was new material? At his London gig he said to look out for his forthcoming cycle of drinking songs - Liver as Big as Hartlepool etc presumably. But then at Reading years back he mentioned his rock opera so who knows!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index