6761 posts

Re: Compilation Albums.
Oct 08, 2015, 09:53
Toni Torino wrote:
IanB wrote:
Toni Torino wrote:
IanB wrote:
Toni Torino wrote:
I am a sucker for good compilations, especially dance music ones. The Soul Jazz 'Disco' comps and the 'Horse Meat Disco' (Strut Records) comps

Love those albums!

Misaluba oh-ohhh, Misaluba ohhh-oh

Hehe! I think my tastes turned towards the more joyous as the economy -my economy - took a nosedive. Just brought to mind the uber-controversial 'Hard Times Chic' feature in Face mag.

IIRC the Hard Times issue was basically "Wham Rap" in essay form but just look at the front cover! P K Dick and Nam June Paik alongside Kevin Rowland and a Northern Soul primer. You wont get that kind of diversity under one masthead these days. Sadly, if that era is going to have a five minute come back then it'll be for the worst possible reasons. Hipsters-play-poverty. There is always a lot to be said for bass thumping escapism though. Perhaps there was a good reason to hang on to those Funkapolitan, Havana Lets Go and Animal Nightlife singles after all.

Hard Times : Whatever Happened To The Zoot Suit? is a question for the ages. I didn't realise it was Robert Elms to wrote the article. Should've guessed really. I used to really enjoy The Face back then.

Me too, it's breadth of interests was staggering, though I think Blitz had the better cadre of writers overall if a lot less clout. I have kept a few copies of both but can't imagine ever wanting to actually look at them. They will give my girls a laugh on a rainy afternoon at some point and then go to the great magazine landfill in the sky.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index