Compilation Albums.

44 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1709 posts

Re: Compilation Albums.
Jun 17, 2014, 15:39
I still think the K-Tel Rolling Stones double LP compilation 'The Story of the Stones' looks and sounds great. Cherry picking the early Decca years with Brian Jones, the tracks leap out of the groove with a raw energy. That album enlivened many a teenage party.

Also did anyone else have the Ronco post-punk collection 'Street Level' - "20 new wave hits, as seen on TV" !? Pistols, Buzzcocks, Stranglers etc., alongside PIL, Magazine, Gary Numan, John Foxx and curios like 'A Walk in the Park' by the Nick Straker Band and 'Butcher Baby' by the Plasmatics. Still fondly regarded.

The Beechwood 'Indie Top 20' collections still stand up well; I have volumes 5 and 7 which bolster the best of the 1988 and 1989 indie charts with tracks from the Strange Fruit Peel Session EPs by New Order and Joy Division (and the Swans 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' with Jarboe vocal).

And two tribute albums from the same time that stand up in their own right: 'The Bridge- A Tribute to Neil Young' for Loop doing 'Cinnamon Girl,' Nick Cave doing 'Helpless' and Pixies doing 'Winterlong' among others, and 'I'm Your Fan- A Tribute to Leonard Cohen' with great contributions again by Pixies and Nick Cave, plus the House of Love, Ian McCulloch, Fatima Mansions etc.

Finally for the moment a 1992 comp called Freedom of Choice on City Slang- for Sonic Youth doing 'Ca Plane Pour Moi,' Mudhoney 'Pump It up,' Red Kross covering the Go-Go's and more. Great fun.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index