56 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Edited Feb 16, 2014, 20:38
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 16 February 2014 CE
Feb 16, 2014, 20:36
John Carpenter – Halloween, best of. To say that some of this stuff is seminal is not over-stating the case (Do rock crits still use this word? It used to be liberally applied to any album deemed half-decent. Perhaps they just got embarrassed with the jism connotations).

The Necks – Aether. Ha, I love a challenge ;-) Actually quite enjoyed this, even if does sound like the start of In A Silent Way played a 100 times at 16prm.

The Skull Defekts – Dances in Dreams of the Known Unknown. Got an early promo of this, sounding pretty good on first listen, though difficult to top the mighty Peer Amid (which I believe somebody on this ‘ere forum put me onto, cheers for that) – it doesn’t get more rocking than this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNcP5ozxgpU

Peter Hammill – The Silent Corner and The Empty Stage / pH7. As inspired by another HH discussion ;-0 If you have any interest in the more outre aspects of prog, then Silent Corner is for you; and yes, pH7 remains his other truly great album for me – you can’t argue with “Careering”, “Imperials Walls”, “Mr X Gets Tense”, and of course, “Porton Down”: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy1w--obS8k

Eloy – Planets. Cosmic/hard prog/rock heaven. Yes, the lyrics are daft and Frank Bornemann sounds like Ian Anderson if he’d been born in Berlin instead of Blackpool, but the sound and arrangements (particularly the bass playing, picking up on another recent thread) are superb.

VA – MOJO Best of 2013. Actually still working my way through this in the car. What you’d expect, except for the opener of “2013” by Primal Scream, which is actually rather great (and you don’t know how much it hurts my soul to praise PS).

Listen With Father:

Jonny Trunk – The Inside Outside. Just the perfect album for kids. If you like the funky, more playful side to the Ghostbox sound, you’ll also love this.

VA – The Sound of the Suburbs. Another punk comp. Didn’t get very far with this until the 5 year old declared she had a headache (I blame Weller’s “cor blimey guv, luvaduck” delivery of “Eton Rifles”).

Talk Talk – Spirit of Eden. So this went on as soothing aural balm (until the rocking chorus of “Desire” of course). Nothing sounded like this in 1988. Nowadays, tenth rate ‘homages’ are quite common.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index