56 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Feb 16, 2014, 20:35
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 16 February 2014 CE
Feb 16, 2014, 20:22
Glad you liked them. At the time those three albums and two dvds represented the most interesting Yes music since the tours of 77 and 78. The only gripe is that it is a shame Rick didn't get his way on the Keys 2 studio tracks. They could have comprised their best studio album in over 20 years rather than being tossed away as live album filler.

Anyway if you liked those records then then the House of Blues and Montreux shows from the early 00s are worth hearing too. Especially if you are a fan of South Side of the Sky which gets a blazing rendition on the 2003 set.

That all came as a huge relief to me because when the band toured the UK in 98 it was embarrassing how poor they were - Anderson camping his way through the lyrics and rolling his eyes during the song introductions, Squire and White overplaying the Prog bludgeon card, an extraneous Billy Sherwood getting in the way and a fairly anonymous Russian keyboard player not getting in the way enough. Only Steve Howe came away with any credit. There were also an awful lot of people there seemingly intent on getting loaded and hearing Owner of a Lonely Heart. At that point I really thought it was game over. Even that doesn't stop my buying everything that comes out in the hope that they have found the magic formula. You never know the old devils might squeeze out one last decent studio album yet.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index