Gnidrolog - Lady Lake
Magma - Live
Taint - The Ruin of Nova Roma
Evile - Five Serpents Teeth
Kylie - Fever/Aphrodite
Lenny White - Venusian Summer
Carlton Melton - Always Even
Ultramarine - This Time Last Year

Get The Blessing - Lope & Antelope. More quirksome jazz-inflected noises from GTB, with perhaps a darker, sparser tone to some of the tunes than on previous albums. Good stuff.

Starsoup - Bazaar of Wonders. Hmmm, a Russian prog-metal project that mixes AOR style melodies with prog virtuosity and twiddlings. A bit like Dream Theater if they remembered to write any actual songs. I like! And surely, only a Russian prog-metal band would call themselves Starsoup!

Rannoch - Between Two Worlds. Like this. A death/prog metal band, from the Midlands I believe, that harks back to the very early Opeth stuff, perhaps with a tad more death-brutality on some tracks. Very promising!

Yes - Keys To Ascension (Studio tracks)
Magnification. (Thanks V much to Ian B for passing these on!)
I'd never quite got around to acquiring these latter day Yes albums, perhaps because I'd been slightly underwhelmed by stuff like "The Ladder". I mean, yes it was all huzzahs when Steve Howe was back but then, where was the great, new Yes music?! Then, I saw some reviews and had a conversation with a Yes fan who said that the "Keys to Ascension" studio tracks were actually really good, definitely a step in the right direction, that is, sort of backwards, whilst going forwards. A Yes moon-walk maybe? And also, Ian told me that the "Yes replace Keyboard Player With an Orchestra" album "Magnification" was also, genuinely, very good. So, with his help, I've cobbled together a "lost" Yes album of the "Keys" studio tracks and also now have "Magnification".
Wow! The "Keys" album, such as it is, really would've, in my 'umble, been a very good studio album in its own right. It almost seems befuddling that they should almost chuck these songs away as extra bits on a couple of live albums rather than release them as an album proper. For a start, there's a couple of epics in the old Yes vein that, more modern production aside, could happily have sat on things like "Relayer" or "Going for the One".
"Magnification" too, is pretty magnifi-cent. The songs are pretty great, the 4-piece Yes seems on fire musically, and the orchestral arrangements enhance and compliment rather than swamp what's going on. So, extremely late to this particular party, but very glad I got there in the end!

Have a nice week x
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index