56 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 16 February 2014 CE
Feb 16, 2014, 16:52
This weeks it's been...

Spacemen 3 - Forged Prescriptions/Playing With Fire 2CD/Sound Of Confusion/Translucent Flashbacks.
Not played these for years and have really enjoyed getting re-acquainted with them these past few weeks. Still sound remarkably fresh amongst the glut of new psych pretenders. Great stuff!

Add N To(X) - Avant Hard/ Loud Like Nature/Add Insult To Injury
Another bunch that I've not played in some time and have really got off on. Don't think there was another band from 'their' time with such a quirky take on retro, and that were such top not synth manglers to boot.

Momus - Various albums and tracks
Fairly new to this guy, but as far as left field pop music goes, he's way out on the fringes. Albums/tracks vary from sweet acoustic ramblings with a sting in the tale [lyrics wise] to Pet Shop Boys polished electro pop, baroque analogue, Jpop, absurd Folktronica and all points in between.
Not all great by any stretch of the imagination, but he has a surprisingly high hit rate, and the lyrics are often hilarious, shocking, uncomfortably honest and poignant (often within the same song).
Fav' album so far has got to be 'Otto Spooky', a glitch pop tour de force, with the incredibly moving 'Cockle Puckers' about the sad events in Morecambe Bay towards the end.
He's given his first 6 albums for free download at Ubuweb, as he stated that they were now long out of print, with Sony music (the current owners) doing nothing with them. Going for silly money second hand he decided they had paid for themselves anyhow, so why not give them for nowt.
Here if your interested (you'll have to DL them track by track if you want them all). http://archive.is/pz0UR
Great/ funny website/twitter feed too. http://imomus.com/
Forgive the eye patch, he's not being 'arch' (well he probably is, lets be honest). He lost the use of his right eye to infection when he use tap water to clean his contact lenses (so be warned !).

Depeche Mode - Singles 81-85
Another bunch I'd forgotten how much I used to like them. Some great pop songs amongst these two discs. Still one of my guilty pleasures if i'm honest. Last album proper I really enjoyed by them was Ultra.

Adult - Gimme Trouble
If Siouxsie fronted a stripped down electropunk act it might go something like this.

John Foxx - A New Kind Of Man (Metamatic Live)
Not as good as I was hoping, the quality of some sounds like audience recordings, no bottom end at all, and some of the sounds/playing is a little lacklustre. But I got it from his merch site for £1.99 (still up there if you want it!) so shouldn't moan really.

Anyhoo, gotta take the kids out to pals sleep over, so have a great week!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index