Charlie2300
Charlie2300
412 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 11 August 2013 CE
Aug 12, 2013, 00:33
Moon Cat wrote:
Billy Cobham - Crosswinds
TesseracT - Altered State (lush!)

Deep Purple - Now What?! Thanks IanB for letting me hear this cos it's oretty unlikely I would've heard it otherwise. The last Purps album I have is 'Perfect Strangers' so I've missed all the Steve Morse stuff. This is, however, unexpectedly wondrous. There's a genuinely adventurous prog element on board and Don Airey is ,with no disrespect to the late, great Jon Lord, the star of the show for me here. Some amazing organ work and there's a great feel to the whole album, like it's a real statement! I'd put it up there in the "Blimey I wasn't expecting that!!" pleasant surprise category of Uriah Heep's "Wake the Sleeper" from a few years back. Pretty blown away by it really and I'm glad for that.

Wo Fat - The Black Code

Corvus Corax - Sverker. Another gem from the house of IanB. They look like Manowar and Cradle of Filth in a car-crash and peddle a joyous brand of European 'Battle Folk" played on an array of instruments that you'd expect to see unearthed on Time Team or something. Great, and a lotta fun.

Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come / Something Else!!!
Get The Blessing - Bugs in Amber
Surtr - Pulvis et Umbra
The Untied Knot - Rien N'Existe

Arabrot - ST . Excellent blackened punk n roll metal. Must sniff for more.

Arkham Witch - Legions of the Deep. HP Lovecraft inspired, NWOBHM flavoured trad metal with hints of doom, from darkest Yorkshire.

Wolf People - Fain
Sylver Tongue - Something Big EP
Electric Eel Shock - Go Europe!
Rainbow - Straight Between the Eyes
Goldfrapp - Felt Mountain

have a nice week x

Don Airey was the keyboard whizz in Colosseum II and I'm not therefore at all surprised that he's made a major contribution to Deep Purple. Whether I can face listening to a Deep Purple track is another matter!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index