Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 11, 2013, 09:22
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 11 August 2013 CE
Aug 11, 2013, 08:00
Feist - Metals
I quite liked Let It Die but the follow up (Reminder) not so much. So after stumbling over her brilliant From The Basement performance totally by accident I have been kicking myself for not having bought this record when it came out. It has been a really good couple of years for albums by women working broadly in the singer songwriter area - PJ, Tift Merritt, Karine Polwart, Rumer, Fiona Apple, Ruth Theodore, Anais Mitchell, Snakefarm, Shook Twins, the Unthanks have all released gems. This might be the best record of the lot.

Suuns - 2020 (music from trailer to "Only God Forgives")
Not much of a song (an average indie gloomer) but the production contains some fantastic sounds. Disappointed to find out the tune isn't in the movie as I can't imagine those images now without this wailing noise.

Bush Tetras - Boom in the Night
Often the bridesmaids when the post punk history books are written. It's strange world where Cut and Playing With A Different Sex get all the prizes and this band gets ignored. Shows how album oriented critics were even in experimental times.

Alison Teale - Cor!
HvK / BPO - Wagner: Tristan Und Isolde (Act 3)
Charles Münch / Boston Symphony Orchestra - Ravel: Daphnis et Chloe

Superb bass playing put to work on great records. The sort of records that make me think I should think about giving up dabbling in it ...

Bill Evans Trio: Sunday At The Village Vanguard
Ben Allison - Peace Pipe
Michael Manring - Soliloquy
Gary Burton - Ring
Crimson Jazz Trio - King Crimson Songbook Vol.2
Eberhard Weber - Fluid Russle

and from Prog corner

Theo Travis & Robert Fripp - Follow
Zappa Plays Zappa
King Crimson - Beat
ELP - Works
Topic Outline: