IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 11, 2013, 14:31
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 11 August 2013 CE
Aug 11, 2013, 13:48
thesweetcheat wrote:
IanB wrote:
Bush Tetras - Boom in the Night
Often the bridesmaids when the post punk history books are written. It's strange world where Cut and Playing With A Different Sex get all the prizes and this band gets ignored. Shows how album oriented critics were even in experimental times.

Only ever heard "Too Many Creeps", which tends to crop up on compilations. It doesn't massively float my boat, but unfair to judge on one track alone. Would you say it was representative though?

I love Cut by the way, and also a fan of the early Delta 5 singles.

I bought early Delta 5 singles too. I liked The Slits live. Not so much on record. I preferred "Y" to "Cut" and I liked the polemic of the Au Pairs (and The Pop Group) more than the Slits' nonsense rhyming white Rasta anti consumerism thing.

Anyway. "Too Many Creeps"? The Bush Tetra's worst recorded song I reckon. I can see why it got picked as a single as it has a straight up New Wave feel to it. The rest of their work had more of a Shiny Beast, jazz loft, East Village, ESG, mutant disco, Material, James White / Chance NYC thing about it. Not surprising given Pat Place had played in both bands. Still Post Punk in essence but with a far more sinewy rhythm section than most of the bands of that era. For me Laura Kennedy was in the Tina Weymouth league of to-the-point punk funksters.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index