Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 18 September 2011 CE

48 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Spaceship mark
Spaceship mark
1686 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 18 September 2011 CE
Sep 19, 2011, 15:49
Much as you have said. I feel a unique talent has been diluted, whether this is due to record company pressure, ideas-exhaustion or too much nosebag I don't know. Only about three of the tracks seem to be fully written, the rest meandering studio jams (interesting in places but not as arresting as her earlier material).
To be fair I also had issues with the creeping Mumfordisations of the last album. From her publicity over the years we have been led to believe that she has gone from a painfully shy and militantly plain young woman to a confident and strident performer. To the extant that she has been executing her 'exercise in awkwardness' at festivals this year, where she would enter a room without speaking, play to one person and leave. That's really egotistical.
Perhaps Marling, as many artists before, has found a groove she can lazily sit it and sell millions of records but unless the next album does something original (not necessarily like the first record, but with songs which really grab you) I'll only be Spotifying and not blindly parting with my hard earned. There are independent artists out there who need my money more.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index