Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 18 September 2011 CE

48 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FifePsy
FifePsy
540 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 18 September 2011 CE
Sep 18, 2011, 22:43
Loren Connors - Red Mars. Great slabs of sonic landscapes from Connor's guitar which sounds like it may have beem recorded in the far reaches of the solar system.

Mogwai - Earth Division. Much as I love them, I don't ever expect to be really surprised by them but this new EP sees them using string quartet and even mouth organ with great results. Guaranteed to be used for some BBC documentary in the not to distant future. Original pressing of this was wiped out in the PIAS fire so nice to have this hunk of solid vinyl in my mitts.

v/a - Bob Blank, The Blank Generation, Blank Tapes NYC 1975-1987. Intriguing compilation centred around producer Bob Blank's Blank Tapes studio. Real intersection of mutant disco, jazz and No Wave so the likes of Sun Ra, James Blood Ulmer, Lydia Lunch, Gladys Knight, Fonda Rae etc. Also Arthur Russell's (as Lola) great Wax the Van. Not bad for £3 out of Fopp.

Barn Owl - The Conjurer. First album I've heard from them and like this a lot. Want to check out their new collaboration with Ellen Fullman.

Other plays:

Art Ensemble of Chicago - Urban Bushmen
The Free Spirits - Out of Sight and Sound
Larry Coryell - Spaces
The Necks - Live at Issue, Night Two, Set Two
Delphic Vapours - Get Off Their Knees
SAHB - Next
Zappa - Roxy and Elsewhere
Davy Graham - A Scholar and a Gentleman
PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
Adrian Belew - Twang Bar King
Fred Frith - The Previous Evening
Peter Erskine - Juni
Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn

And good to hear Maconie feature Mark Hollis's s/t solo album on Freak Zone tonight. One to dig out for next week.

Have a great week all.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index