IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 19, 2011, 14:55
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 18 September 2011 CE
Sep 18, 2011, 13:31
mingtp wrote:
IanB wrote:
Laura Marling - A Creature I Don't Know
This really should have been titled "Show Me The Grammy". After a startling arrival in 2007 with a wonderful ep, an excellent XFM session and some equally stunning demos Marling has, over the course of two Ethan Johns produced albums, slowly morphed into an almost unrecognisable amalgam of North American singer songwriter tropes. She rides the rail from Joni to Ani (a lot of Joni & Ani as it happens) with a smidge of Sheryl on top to hedge those pop radio bets. There are even some contemporary bluegrass stylings drizzled over the top for Nu Folk credibilty. And people call Kiss cynical!

Even this risible musical merngue might be ok if the writing was less disappointing but she is unrecognisable from the woman who came up with work of the originality and tenderness of "Night Terror" and "My Manic and I". I know dressing up as something you aren't is a huge part of rock n roll but this is actually so bad I can't help but think she was conned into it, that she'll stop taking bad creative advice, drop the big name producer, ditch the ludicrous mid Atlantic (actually more mid Lake Ontario) accent and get back on track with the next one.

Agree with you Ian. I wouldn't have put it quite as scathingly but I can't fault anything you wrote so eloquently, it's a very disappointing album from several angles.

When I read my post back I thought that maybe I had over reacted then I played it again and it sounded even worse! It's the stupid American/Canadian accent and the fact that she is nicking so much from Joni and Ani Difranco without really adding anything of her own. Phrasing and melody more from Joni. Dynamics and timing and arrangements more from Ani. And when you see the lyrics written down ..... holy shit. Someone in year 11 of the local comp must have left their diary on a bus and she's picked it up.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index