Unsung Forum »
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 18 September 2011 CE

48 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
flashbackcaruso
1056 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 18 September 2011 CE
Sep 18, 2011, 22:57
The Doors - The Soft Parade (for some reason The Doors' 'worst' album is one of my favourites. Often lightweight, but great fun)

The Rolling Stones - Their Satanic Majesties Request (still mystifies me that the Stones quickly disowned this album which brims with chaotic invention).

The Kinks - Sleepwalker
The Kinks - Misfits (this most English of groups pander towards the US market and the results are often surprisingly pleasing, although on 'Misfits' Ray sometimes sails the band into dangerously cheesey territory).

Micah P.Hinson - The Gospel Of Progress (his first album which he toured to wonderful effect with The Earlies as his backing group, although I first heard him play these songs acoustic and they were no less compelling in a more stripped back setting).

The Kingsbury Manx - The Kingsbury Manx
The Kingsbury Manx - Let You Down (peerless first pair of albums from this unassuming but deeply effecting US band. Each one always feels like the better of the two whenever I play them).

The Turtles - Golden Hits
The Turtles - Chalon Road (two excellent compilations from this unfairly overlooked band, with some overlap between the two. 'Chalon Road' was Rhino's attempt to compile a lost album out of stray tracks from their 45s, unearthing some mighty psychedelic gems in the process).

Kaleidoscope - Tangerine Dream
Kaleidoscope - Faintly Blowing (some of the twee-est lyrics of an era prone to such excesses, more than compensated for by wonderful melodic invention and some surprisingly powerful playing. One of the great unsung British psych bands).

Elvis Presley - For L.P. Fans Only
Elvis Presley - A Date With Elvis (the two stop-gap LPs compiled from non-album tracks to keep fans happy while Elvis was in the army. Amazingly some of his greatest ever Sun recordings - 'Blue Moon Of Kentucky', 'Milkcow Blues Boogie', 'Good Rockin' Tonight' and my favourite rockabilly cut EVER 'Baby Let's Play House' - were among the songs scraped from the bottom of the barrel for the second of these. It also includes 'Is It So Strange', one of his most haunted recordings).

Matt Berry - Witchazel (I've been meaning to buy this ever since I heard Stuart Maconie play 'The Pheasant' on the Freak Zone and assumed it was from some lost harmony-prog-folk gem of the early 70s until Stuart back-announced it. Then I saw Matt Berry posing as Vangelis on 'Shooting Stars' and finally knew I had to have it. Somewhere between Circulus and The Last Hurrah, it's knowingly retro in a gloriously inventive and often rather beautiful way).

Lambchop - How I Quit Smoking (the first Lambchop album I bought, and the one I return to the most. It subversively mixes the most lush tendencies of Nashville with Kurt Wagner's most perverse lyrics).
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index