2387 posts

Edited Sep 19, 2011, 14:03
Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 18 September 2011 CE
Sep 17, 2011, 22:07
Cat Stevens - Matthew & Son

Cat Stevens - New Masters

Roedelius - Selbstportrait

Hans-Joachim Roedelius - Durch die Wüste

Roedelius - Wasser Im Wind (multiple spins)

Cluster - Zuckerzeit

Moebius + Roedelius - Apropos Cluster

Moebius - Blue Moon

Paul Weller - Wake Up The Nation

The Residents - High Horses

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

B.B. King - More B.B. King

Johnny Shines & Robert Lockwood - st

Frank Stokes - Creator of the Memphis Blues

V.A. - Lonesome Road Blues 1926 - 1941

V.A. - St Louis Blues 1929-1935

V.A. - The Blues Of Texas Arkansas And Louisiana 1927 - 1932

V.A. - Ruckus Juice & Chitlins , The Great Jug Bands vol. 2

Roy Budd featuring The Three Degrees - Diamonds OST

Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow

Jefferson Airplane - At The Monterey Festival

Genesis - And The Word Was...

The Beatles - Please Please Me (mono)

Ozric Tentacles - There Is Nothing

Ozric Tentacles - Tantric Obstacles

Wings - Wild Life

Wings - Venus and Mars

Phantasia - st

Mouse On Mars - Instrumentals

Edgar Froese - Kamikaze 1989
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 18 September 2011 CE
Sep 18, 2011, 01:22
CD:
Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet
The Fall - Hex Enduction Hour
James Brown - In the Jungle Groove
Fela Kuti - Expensive Shit
The Kinks - Something Else
Zargof - Departure for the Cosmic Twilight
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique

DVD:
Curb Your Enthusiasm - season 5
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 18, 2011, 10:56
Sep 18, 2011, 08:44
Laura Marling - A Creature I Don't Know
This really should have been titled "Show Me The Grammy". After a startling arrival in 2007 with a wonderful ep, an excellent XFM session and some equally stunning demos Marling has, over the course of two Ethan Johns produced albums, slowly morphed into an almost unrecognisable amalgam of North American singer songwriter tropes. She rides the rail from Joni to Ani (a lot of Joni & Ani as it happens) with a smidge of Sheryl on top to hedge those pop radio bets. There are even some contemporary bluegrass stylings drizzled over the top for Nu Folk credibilty. And people call Kiss cynical!

Even this risible musical merngue might be ok if the writing was less disappointing but she is unrecognisable from the woman who came up with work of the originality and tenderness of "Night Terror" and "My Manic and I". I know dressing up as something you aren't is a huge part of rock n roll but this is actually so bad I can't help but think she was conned into it, that she'll stop taking bad creative advice, drop the big name producer, ditch the ludicrous mid Atlantic (actually more mid Lake Ontario) accent and get back on track with the next one.

If you like this kind of thing but prefer it less tainted by greed-headedness then I would highly recommend .....

Joy Kills Sorrow - This Unknown Science
Their Celtic Connections set blew me away in January and their last album "Darkness Sure Becomes This City" was set to be my album of this year though unbenknownst to me it actually came out in 2010. I know plenty of people who find the idea of middle class, college educated Americans playing the music of hard rural living in charity store threds completely horrible but the quality of the songwriting, singing and playing here should transcend any reservations. Sincerity isn't everything in pop but this is everything the new Laura Marling record is not. And that is coming from someone who hates the banjo. That said I would recommend trying "Becomes The City" first simply because it is so fab. This new one feels more like a volume 2 than a stand-alone listen.

Humble Pie - King Biscuit Flower Hour: In Concert
The great thing about Humble Pie for me isn't the guitars or Marriott's "I'm American me" bluesisms, it's the rhythm section. On their night Greg Ridley and Jerry Shirley are up there with any pairing you care to mention. Just wonderful to listen to them subtly shifting the focus and finding the tender spot. Compared with Rockin The Fillmore the band in general sound less like their are suffering from a 2000-stoner-strong contact high on this recording so it's that bit more spry and lithe and purposeful. Though I would still rather listen to ...

The Black Crowes - Live At The Fillmore 12/18/10
This is one of a series of six complete shows from their end-of-the-road run last December. This is far and away their best line up (especially in the guitar department) and even the covers are mostly played with a vigour and grace that the originators would have struggled to muster in their pomp. Every time I see them I get more and more convinced that on this form they are the best live band of their kind that we've ever had.

They also served ....

Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden

Ian Dury - New Boots & Panties

Clive John You Always Know Where You Stand With A Buzzard

Residente Orchestra The Hague w/ Hans Vonk - Diepenbrock: Orchestral
Works and Symphonic Songs
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Sep 18, 2011, 11:34
There are some albums that are so over played and talked up at the time that we forget how great they are - you know, the kind of stuff that makes it in lists of top 100 albums that all the cool cats dismiss because they are too popular.Well i have been listening to Portishead - Dummy which of course came out in 95 and was played to death. Well i gave it a listen this week and it sounds great. Actually that's not the whole truth - i had to take it out of the player the following day because it was too depressing.

Robert Palmer - Sneaking Sally through the alley. Been singing 'put on your sailing shoes' a bit this morning.

Public Image Ltd - First Edition. The first track is awesome (Fodderstomp?) but it goes a little downhill from there. His rant about religion sounds like something Cope would come up with! Yawn.

Psychedelic Furs - World Outside. This is the first album i ever got by them some 20 odd years ago, and was one of my first CD's, so has a place in my kidneys.

Pink Floyd - A CD full of secrets

Beth Orton - Central Reservation

Elsewhere it has been a Mugstar feast courtesy of Hunter T Wolfe. Now listening to the third offering, Lime. Elsewhere it has been the 2006 album which spotify told me was 2010 and Sun, Broken from 2010.

I do listen to quite a bit of 6 Music and discovered White Label's remix album entitled Stolen Voices. I did post about it but got no responses what so ever. The alternate lyrics to John Lennon's Jealous Guy tune improve the song sixteen fold. One of my fav songs, Jimmy Scott's Sycamore Tree used in David Lynch's Fire Walk with Me gets a reworking too. Although i don't think it is as good as the original on this occasion.
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Edited Sep 18, 2011, 22:01
Sep 18, 2011, 12:35
Albums

Black Pyramid - Stormbringer
Colour Haze - Tempel
Ghost - Opus Eponymous
Judas Priest - Single Cuts
Subscape - Universal EP (recommended)
Eternal Tapestry & Sun Araw - Night Gallery (recommended)
Jane Weaver Septieme Soeur - The Watchbird Alluminate (recommended)
The Duke Spirit - Bruiser
Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam Twenty
BBC Radiophonic Workshop - Dr Who Themes (thanks Tone)
Howling Bells - Loudest Engine
Ladytron - Gravity The Seducer
The Soft Moon - The Soft Moon
Baby Woodrose - Mindblowing Seeds And Disconnected Flowers
EDIT: Orchid - Capricorn (nice one Redfish)
EDIT: Orchid - Through the Devil's Doorway (How much more Sabbath can you get? None. None more Sabbath)

Tracks

Astrid Williamson - Pour
Florence & The Machine - What the Water Gave Me
Richie Spice - Youth Dem Cold
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Sep 18, 2011, 12:40
IanB wrote:
This really should have been titled "Show Me The Grammy". After a startling arrival in 2007 with a wonderful ep, an excellent XFM session and some equally stunning demos Marling has, over the course of two Ethan Johns produced albums, slowly morphed into an almost unrecognisable amalgam of North American singer songwriter tropes. She rides the rail from Joni to Ani (a lot of Joni & Ani as it happens) with a smidge of Sheryl on top to hedge those pop radio bets. There are even some contemporary bluegrass stylings drizzled over the top for Nu Folk credibilty. And people call Kiss cynical!

Even this risible musical merngue might be ok if the writing was less disappointing but she is unrecognisable from the woman who came up with work of the originality and tenderness of "Night Terror" and "My Manic and I". I know dressing up as something you aren't is a huge part of rock n roll but this is actually so bad I can't help but think she was conned into it, that she'll stop taking bad creative advice, drop the big name producer, ditch the ludicrous mid Atlantic (actually more mid Lake Ontario) accent and get back on track with the next one.

Agree with you Ian. I wouldn't have put it quite as scathingly but I can't fault anything you wrote so eloquently, it's a very disappointing album from several angles.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 19, 2011, 14:55
Sep 18, 2011, 13:31
mingtp wrote:
IanB wrote:

Agree with you Ian. I wouldn't have put it quite as scathingly but I can't fault anything you wrote so eloquently, it's a very disappointing album from several angles.

When I read my post back I thought that maybe I had over reacted then I played it again and it sounded even worse! It's the stupid American/Canadian accent and the fact that she is nicking so much from Joni and Ani Difranco without really adding anything of her own. Phrasing and melody more from Joni. Dynamics and timing and arrangements more from Ani. And when you see the lyrics written down ..... holy shit. Someone in year 11 of the local comp must have left their diary on a bus and she's picked it up.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Sep 18, 2011, 15:46
1001realapes wrote:

Genesis - And The Word Was...

Is this a bootleg?
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Edited Sep 18, 2011, 17:38
Sep 18, 2011, 17:37
Simon & Garfunkel 'Bookends' - their best album to these ears: tender, heartfelt, catchy and thoroughly enjoyable;

Richard Thompson 'Mock Tudor' - where the great man manages to chill and entertain in equal measure. Has there ever been a more harrowing song than 'Hope You Like The New Me'?

Spooky Tooth 'You Broke My Heart...So I Busted Your Jaw' - fine, soulful rock from the Tooth's unsung later years;

The Beatles 'Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' - punchy as owt in mono. Y'know, this ain't half a bad album;

Dire Straits 'Dire Straits' - okay, you can take the Arthur, but this is a sublime guitar record, and the original line up were tighter than a banker's trollies;

Hellbastard 'Natural Order' - lotsafun to be had by this Geordie blend of Maiden and thrash metal from two decades back. I'd forgotten how good this was in its slightly shambolic sort of way;

Anti Pasti 'The Last Call' - and my god, this IS shambolic. And to be frank, not that great... but there's something endearing about this record that transcends Derby's most successful punk band's obvious musical and vocal limitations.

Brinsley Schwarz 'Brinsley Schwarz' - good debut LP dripping in Van Morrison and CSNY. I wonder what Nick Lowe thinks of this now?

Coltrane's 'Lush Life', Don Cherry's 'Mu' and Nana Vasconcelos' 'Saudades' provided the jazz thrills; Solti's first take on Mahler 4 (with the Concertgebouw in '61) the classical ones. And I've just got a 20CD William Steinberg box set to work my way through. Can't wait.

Have a great week, everybody

Dave
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Sep 18, 2011, 17:50
Hail

Mostly a quiet week for me cos I've been out and about a lot of late..

but

Steelwing - Lord of The Wasteland. NWOBHM/80's metal worshipping nutters; all early Maiden twin leads and so on... with a dose of Raven. And, their bass player is called Skurk! (Should be an umlaut above the "U" there, of course there is, but I don't know how to do it on here)

Herbie Hancock - Mwandishi

Solus 3 - The Sky Above the Roof (vinyl version). Sounds great!

Red Snapper - Reeled & Skinned

Goldfrapp - Felt Mountain. Oddly enough I only recently got this even though I have the following three. It's nicey nice nice.

Gum Takes Tooth - Silent Cenotaph

Uriah Heep - Into The Wild

Nick Drake - Bryter Later

Bert Jansch - The Legendary Recordings

Have a nice week sound slurpers x
Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index