48 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 18 September 2011 CE
Sep 18, 2011, 18:37
Bowie - Hours, Heathen, Reality.
TBH, I tend to steer clear of 'late era' Bowie and haven't heard much that floated my boat, but these three cost me peanuts so I put my hand in my pocket.
Well, first impressions say to me that they're not the greatest Bowie records, a little overproduced for my ears, but maybe I'm missing something as my mates love em', so what do I know. For me, I think that 'Outside' was his last decent album and was led to believe that 'Heathen' esp was in a similar vein, ixnay no-way.

Kinks - Village Green Preservation Society
Picked this up for cheaps too, probably one of my fav' kinks releases, particularly love 'Autumn Almanac'. Just kicking myself I didn't pick up some more of their albums from Fopp for £3..we don't have one in or near Brum :(
Can't quite see the point of a Mono and Stereo mix on the same record (other than a slight tracklist difference) but maybe I just gotta listen closer.

Broadcast - Work and Non Work
Great little collection of early singles I don't play nearly enough. You can even hear traces of their last album in a few of these early tracks, so the thread was ever present.

A.R.E. Weapons - Free The Streets
Sound is part Dead Combo, Part poptastic end of Ministry, A.R.E. Weapons have a similar electronic rock ' roll vibe to a few bands in this 'electro' genre. Not their best release, but worth it for the second half of the record from 'Who Rules The Wasteland through to 'Brand New Walking Blues'.

Tarwater - 11/6 - 12/10
Found this (finally) earlier in the year and it's become a firm fav'. Different versions of Rome and Euroslut and a few more that appear on later releases like Silur, it's just so, ahhhhhh (esp late at night on a country road).

Tarwater - Inside the Ship
Great 'return' to form album from Tarwater, much better to these ears that 'Spider Smile' and 'The Needle Was Travelling', which both had their moments but just lacked that mystery 'formula 'X' that makes the new album stick together so well. A nice sideways cover of D.A.F.'s 'Sato Sato' too.

Music DVD

Japan - Promo's & Oil on Canvas
Loaned this from Love Film (yep' they have bucketloads of music vids too) and glad that I didn't buy it...no attempt at remastering at all. Most of the promo's look like they're taped off a ropey VHS, sound is OK though.
Mick Karn looked waaaay cool in the 'Life In Tokyo' vid. Oil on Canvas reminded me how great they could be as a live band too . On he whole worth watching, but wouldn't buy.

Anyhoo, have a good week.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index