48 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Edited Sep 18, 2011, 17:38
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 18 September 2011 CE
Sep 18, 2011, 17:37
Simon & Garfunkel 'Bookends' - their best album to these ears: tender, heartfelt, catchy and thoroughly enjoyable;

Richard Thompson 'Mock Tudor' - where the great man manages to chill and entertain in equal measure. Has there ever been a more harrowing song than 'Hope You Like The New Me'?

Spooky Tooth 'You Broke My Heart...So I Busted Your Jaw' - fine, soulful rock from the Tooth's unsung later years;

The Beatles 'Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' - punchy as owt in mono. Y'know, this ain't half a bad album;

Dire Straits 'Dire Straits' - okay, you can take the Arthur, but this is a sublime guitar record, and the original line up were tighter than a banker's trollies;

Hellbastard 'Natural Order' - lotsafun to be had by this Geordie blend of Maiden and thrash metal from two decades back. I'd forgotten how good this was in its slightly shambolic sort of way;

Anti Pasti 'The Last Call' - and my god, this IS shambolic. And to be frank, not that great... but there's something endearing about this record that transcends Derby's most successful punk band's obvious musical and vocal limitations.

Brinsley Schwarz 'Brinsley Schwarz' - good debut LP dripping in Van Morrison and CSNY. I wonder what Nick Lowe thinks of this now?

Coltrane's 'Lush Life', Don Cherry's 'Mu' and Nana Vasconcelos' 'Saudades' provided the jazz thrills; Solti's first take on Mahler 4 (with the Concertgebouw in '61) the classical ones. And I've just got a 20CD William Steinberg box set to work my way through. Can't wait.

Have a great week, everybody

Dave
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index