Unsung Forum »
Music of the Sad.

89 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9572 posts

Re: Music of the Sad.
Aug 22, 2011, 17:54
Too many to list really, but one that I'd reasonably expect to 'get' is Robert Wyatt as I do tend to like a number of British eccentrics with distinctive voices and he seems to fit the bill on both scores. I really enjoyed that programme on BBC 4 a while back, except the music bits. Even so, I can't help but admire him.

Ditto to some extent Peter Hamill. He doesn't do it for me but I admire him for managing to keep going, releasing album after album, despite gaining only limited commercial success.

Others...Randy Newman. He was always held up as a great songwriter, but he's never done it for me and I'm not convinced that it's just down to his horrible voice either, though I may be wrong here as I do like Ringo's version of Have You Seen My Baby (though he's at least partly cos Bolan is on guitar!). Nowadays when watching some kids movie you half expect to have your enjoyment spoilt by hearing Newman's crap nasally tones.

Van Morrison doesn't really do it for me either. Apart from the odd track like Bright Side Of The Road which I think Morrison fans would tend to consider amongst his worst!

I liked a lot of Madchester stuff, but The Stone Roses debut LP is perhaps the most over-rated album ever. I love Fools Fold though.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index