6761 posts

Edited Aug 24, 2011, 17:00
Re: Music of the Sad.
Aug 24, 2011, 16:57
Popel Vooje wrote:
IanB wrote:
Dog 3000 wrote:
anthonyqkiernan wrote:
Similarly Marvin Gaye's What's Going On? Although, at least that does have the title track

Agreed -- that is a very overrated album. Second rate Curtis Mayfield.

There are a few Marvin albums like that. Lets Get It On and Trouble Man in particular. Lots of filler. Here, My Dear is gem of a record by comparison. Loads of fantastic songs if not many hit singles (one?). Ironic that it was a total flop. I guess the idea of Mr Loverman being a romantic failure didn't sit well with the Motown machine.

It's been speculated that he deliberately made an uncommercial album that he knew wouldn't sell because all the royalties were going to his ex-wife Anna Gordy as part of the divorce settlement anyway - hence the title, the cover, and most of the lyrics - but I don't know how true that is. I agree it's better than "What's Going On" though.

Yes, I think he actually confirmed as much around the time he was living in Belgium (Belgium!). I think it's his best concept album though that it is not saying much! If Curtis had Marvin's looks and charisma (not to mention the laconic seductive power) then I am sure Mayfield's concept albums would have been the ones that got the greater share of the glory. Not to mention a couple Donny Hathaway's solo efforts.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index