Music of the Sad.

89 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Aug 24, 2011, 15:59
Re: Music of the Sad.
Aug 22, 2011, 18:53
Everyone here already knows what I think of all things J*** W****-related so I'm not even going to go down that road again.

Other than that there's...

The Clash
Too po-faced and rockist for my tastes

Fleet Foxes
Have to agree with bubblehead2 on this one - after reading all the hyperbole in Uncut magazine the music sounded pretty pedestrian to my ears

Post "Atom Heart Mother" Pink Floyd

Pre "Kid A" Radiohead
And post "Kid A" Radiohead, for that matter

The Smiths
from "Hatful of Hollow" onwards, although I do like their first s/t LP

The Sex Pistols
Amusing, but not as good as P.I.L.

The Orb
Reminds me of everything that was bad about the 70s

The Who
Sure, the early singles are good, and "Quadrophenia" has its moments, but the fact that they're routinely classed alongside the Beatles and the Stones as one of the figureheads of the British Invasion is a continual source of bafflement to me.

Jim Morrison
I like the Doors musically, but for the most part I don't get his lyrics or the personality cult that's been built up around him. My favourite album of theirs is "L.A.Woman", which is probably the one he had the least involvement with, seeing as he was busy drinking himself to death in Paris whilst the other three stayed behind in L.A. and worked on it.

Oasis
Yawn....Same goes for Suede and Blur, even though they had fuck all in common besides being hyped as the front-runners of Britpop

The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion
The only release of theirs that I like is the "Experimental Remixes" CD that features their work being obliterated by various hip-hop artists.

The Cosmic Jokers
I've yet to grasp the appeal of their albums even though I like most of the bands that the individual musicians involved came from (early Tangerine Dream, Ash Ra Tempel). They sound to me like a strictly-for-fun side-project that would have been more enjoyable to have participated in than to listen to.

Gong...
bar one and a half albums, those being "Magick Brother" and bits of "Camambert Electrique".
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index