89 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Aug 22, 2011, 20:19
Re: Music of the Sad.
Aug 22, 2011, 20:14
I LIKE a lot of the stuff mentioned on this thread so far!

But I do not particularly "get" the popularity of:

Smiths/Morrissey (fucking YAWN!! A badge of hipsterism, like reading Proust and smoking Galloise.)

Eric Clapton (100% ripoff artist and a nasty person too)

Rolling Stones (only any good when taking acid and imitating the Beatles)

Genesis (early stuff OK but not as good as other prog; little patience for anything from "Lamb" onwards)

Little Feat (the kind of band I should like but don't particulary)

OMD and all sub-Kraftwerk UK synth bands (sound like The Smiths with gadgetry; except Soft Cell who were pleasantly sleazy.)

Radiohead ("OK Computer" was OK grunge-era British Classic Rock redux; the rest is derivative of kraut & other stuff. Meh. I'd rather listen to all the original records whose influences they wear on their sleeves. But might be a good entry point for younger heads -- gotta start somewhere.)

Beck (liked the first few albums, but he has been recycling himself for years. It's not postmodern, it's boring careerism.)

Nirvana (Cobain was kind of a dope; see "music of the pissed." Their albums are not bad, but I don't think they're anything great either. Dislike the production on "Nevermind", actually think their earliest recordings were their best. If I want grunge nostalgia, I'd much rather hear The Breeders.)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index