Pages: 9 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Edited Aug 22, 2011, 16:20
Music of the Sad.
Aug 22, 2011, 15:44
There's a few bands / artists that everyone seems to like that I just don't get. I'm sure we've all got some that just don't click despite how much friends tell us we'd love 'em.

Mine:

Queen
T-Rex
Thin Lizzy
Post-Syd Pink Floyd
Pavement
Oasis
Van Morrison
Black Country Communion
The Smiths
Dream Theater
Beach Boys
EDIT: Genesis
EDIT: Yes

NB - This thread isn't meant to be divisive, just for interest and discussion. Each to their own, innit.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Aug 22, 2011, 17:05
Re: Music of the Sad.
Aug 22, 2011, 15:53
Things that have been thrown my way for years and I'm still, for the most part, not ARSED about...

Bob Dylan
Van Morrison ( the odd song but...meh)
The Clash
Pink Floyd ( I actually own a few albums, but it's always gonna be like rather than love)

The Fall - (actually that's not so much I'm not interested. It's just that the body of work is so stupidly large I don't want to put myself in a position of having to visit it all, especially when there's things I KNOW I want to hear out there.)

Most Country & Western of the spangly rhinestone type.

The Grateful Dead.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 23, 2011, 11:59
Aug 22, 2011, 16:08
The list is endless but of the critical and / or commercial big hitters from various eras these all fall into the bin marked WTF? ...

Here are a few for starters ...

Stone Roses
Happy Mondays
JAMC
Primals
Wedding Present
Felt
Sonic Youth (bar one album)
Swans
Husker Du (bar half an album)
Pixies (bar one song)
Throwing Muses
Motorhead (bar the first album)
Johnny Marr post The Smith
Pet Shop Boys
Test Department
Einsterzende Neubauten (sp?)
Radiohead (past a certain point)
Mantronix
World Domination
Renegade Soundwave
Ash
Muse
Big Black
Nirvana
Alice In Chains
Mudhoney
Screaming Trees
Creedence Clearwater
Flaming Lips
Wilco
Calexico

(that's enough bands - ed)

EDIT forgot about MC5, Billy Bragg and the Unthanks.
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Aug 22, 2011, 16:52
I'd say...

Van Morrison
Grateful Dead
Dire Straits
Elvis Costello
Kate Bush
Foghat
Moby Grape
Kaleidoscope (The US version... I fully "get" and appreciate the UK one)
Nirvana
Phish
Flaming Lips
Roxy Music
Pearl Jam
Smashing Pumpkins

Was surprised to see Black Country Communion on your list, Ming. As well as Yes and Genesis...but that's what makes life interesting.
keith a
9570 posts

Aug 22, 2011, 17:54
Too many to list really, but one that I'd reasonably expect to 'get' is Robert Wyatt as I do tend to like a number of British eccentrics with distinctive voices and he seems to fit the bill on both scores. I really enjoyed that programme on BBC 4 a while back, except the music bits. Even so, I can't help but admire him.

Ditto to some extent Peter Hamill. He doesn't do it for me but I admire him for managing to keep going, releasing album after album, despite gaining only limited commercial success.

Others...Randy Newman. He was always held up as a great songwriter, but he's never done it for me and I'm not convinced that it's just down to his horrible voice either, though I may be wrong here as I do like Ringo's version of Have You Seen My Baby (though he's at least partly cos Bolan is on guitar!). Nowadays when watching some kids movie you half expect to have your enjoyment spoilt by hearing Newman's crap nasally tones.

Van Morrison doesn't really do it for me either. Apart from the odd track like Bright Side Of The Road which I think Morrison fans would tend to consider amongst his worst!

I liked a lot of Madchester stuff, but The Stone Roses debut LP is perhaps the most over-rated album ever. I love Fools Fold though.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Aug 22, 2011, 18:23
Aug 22, 2011, 18:13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UVgH9JqSnQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXPh7EbB1Tw

Also this Odin Leather bullshit saddens me sometimes.
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Aug 22, 2011, 18:32
For brevitys sake I'll steer clear of some of the obvious choices otherwise i'll be here all day but i've never managed to get to grips with some of the critically acclaimed below....

The Fleet Foxes - could be my irrational beard related prejudice but i just don't get 'em. The word wet springs to mind whenever i hear them.

The Smiths - could be my irrational quiff related prejudice but i just don't get 'em. Guitars are a bit jangly for my taste. Mozzer's capacity for dickdom gets in the way too.

Deep Purple - could be my irrational flare related prejudice but i just don't get 'em. Lord's Hammond should be confiscated, Blackmore's plain overrated, but worst of all, Gillan's voice, aargh, he'd sound better with a tracheotomy.

The Grateful Dead - no matter how hard i've tried they just don't engage me. Workingmans Dead i quite like but i believe that one's atypical
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Aug 22, 2011, 18:40
Scarily close to my own opinions in every case !
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Aug 24, 2011, 15:59
Aug 22, 2011, 18:53
Everyone here already knows what I think of all things J*** W****-related so I'm not even going to go down that road again.

Other than that there's...

The Clash
Too po-faced and rockist for my tastes

Fleet Foxes
Have to agree with bubblehead2 on this one - after reading all the hyperbole in Uncut magazine the music sounded pretty pedestrian to my ears

Post "Atom Heart Mother" Pink Floyd

Pre "Kid A" Radiohead
And post "Kid A" Radiohead, for that matter

The Smiths
from "Hatful of Hollow" onwards, although I do like their first s/t LP

The Sex Pistols
Amusing, but not as good as P.I.L.

The Orb
Reminds me of everything that was bad about the 70s

The Who
Sure, the early singles are good, and "Quadrophenia" has its moments, but the fact that they're routinely classed alongside the Beatles and the Stones as one of the figureheads of the British Invasion is a continual source of bafflement to me.

Jim Morrison
I like the Doors musically, but for the most part I don't get his lyrics or the personality cult that's been built up around him. My favourite album of theirs is "L.A.Woman", which is probably the one he had the least involvement with, seeing as he was busy drinking himself to death in Paris whilst the other three stayed behind in L.A. and worked on it.

Oasis
Yawn....Same goes for Suede and Blur, even though they had fuck all in common besides being hyped as the front-runners of Britpop

The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion
The only release of theirs that I like is the "Experimental Remixes" CD that features their work being obliterated by various hip-hop artists.

The Cosmic Jokers
I've yet to grasp the appeal of their albums even though I like most of the bands that the individual musicians involved came from (early Tangerine Dream, Ash Ra Tempel). They sound to me like a strictly-for-fun side-project that would have been more enjoyable to have participated in than to listen to.

Gong...
bar one and a half albums, those being "Magick Brother" and bits of "Camambert Electrique".
Lawrence
9547 posts

Aug 22, 2011, 20:02
Just about every 'alternative' band since Nirvana.
Pages: 9 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index