89 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited Aug 26, 2011, 22:11
Re: Music of the Sad.
Aug 26, 2011, 20:48
The Who invented this kind of drawn out amelodic Power Rock where the slightest wisp of a melody is stretched out to droney proportions. Either that or my ears just aren't wired to respond to Townshend's songwriting. Anyone who followed in that vein: U2, Echo & The Bunnymen, Arcade Dire (ooh, bet I invented that) and the like I automatically can't respond to with anything but mild irritation. Apart from the latter they've all had a few great cuts here and there, and really a songwriter filling in The Void with one standard is more than most people do with their lives, but I can't make it through to Track 12 of any of their albums unless I'm strapped down to a chair.

Petra Haden from a band called The Decemberists who I'll probably never get around to listening to did a really good a capella cover album of The Who Sells Out. That I liked: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhk1ZF9hcv0

Lorra Blues Rock. McCartney's back to basics idea was a major misstep. Glad we got past that era when every band had to have a token old-timey bluesy number. The O.G. blues cats I dig a lot.

I don't see myself ever having too much time for most of the stuff that fills up the Classic Rock aisles again, aside from The Beatles, who I'll love til my dying day- 'specially their early Shangri Las'y shit. It all just sounds too spellbound by its own rock mythos to me these days. That'll prob be less about the music itself and more a result of rock journalists from the Rolling Stone and Melody Maker trying to give the story of the music industry a clear three-act structure (with the story ending thirty years ago) because they, like all journalists, are failed novelists. Love Love and stuff like that still, though.

Elvis Costello on Morrissey
“Morrissey writes wonderful song titles, but sadly he often forgets to write the song.”

I'd say that goes for Elvis Costello too come to think of it.

I'm a simple man. My music needs to be strange or it needs to be disgustingly catchy. Both at once if you can handle it. Grooviness, noisiness and a Puckish desire to show up the po-faced nature of the rock industry (and its tail-chasing fans) doesn't hurt either.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index