75 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 27th February 2011 CE
Mar 01, 2011, 12:44
The New Age All Around
finally arrived from Germany yesterday. so been listening to it a lot. Was a bit disappointed at the scanty booklet on first seeing it.
Have since discovered there's tracknotes and a band history by Susan Graubard in a CD-Rom element of the disc. So am trying to get that together in a way I can read it.
Music is pretty otherworldly in places. A major shame that Pat Kilroy's death meant that the record was shelved before release.
Not sure how well know it would have been otherwise, his earlier Light Of Day lp seems to be mainly known to collectors and not much beyond that.
Anyway, very highly reccommended largely acoustic (some electric bass) interweaving of raga etc influenced music. Lovely stuff, quite transcendent.

Spriguns Time will Pass
Really need to organise my cds better, hadn't seen this for ages then moved a pile on a shelf and there it was. Great mid 70s update on the Britfolk sound mixed in with something possibly more mainstream. Drums sound most of their time. Her voice is beautiful and she, Mandy morton wrote most of the songs here. There is also a lovely version of Blackwaterside.
I'm not sure if their lps are in print or not. If not I'm surprised Sunbeam don't remedy that.

Magma M.D.K.
remaster was sorely needed and this sounds much the better for it, though i'm surprised the ending tone remains, had assumed it was a glitch on the previous version.
Guess this was about their peak, mixture of music indebted to Coltrane, European Modern Classical, and soul (though that r'n'b thing may be way more prominent on Udu Wudu and Attahk.
This still features the bass of Jannik Topp & guitar of Claude Olmos under the Orff like chanting.

The Original Northern Soul Selection compi disc1
Has Marlena Shaw's California Soul & Al Wilson's Snake.
think my highpoint of the set is Mel & Tim's Backfield In Motion which I've loved since I was a little moddy boy. That's disc 2 & I need to find the rest of the package, just got disc1 loose.

13th Floor elevators Alternative stereo Psychedelic Sounds from the Sign Of The 3 Eyed Men box.
Wondering if I should plunk for the 2cd separate version of the cd which has the 'normal' version of the stereo lp on. May have already missed it.
Surprised on listening to this this week that I'd just been reading an old thread somewhere about the lp not really being psychedelic apart from a couple of tracks. Argument was it was more garage. Listening to this I really can't get behind that, it has a really eerie atmosphere that i can only think of as lysergic.
Another great record that I should listen to more often.

Television Live at The Old Waldorf
Rhino Handmade version of a set that had previously circulated as Live adventures. I think the sound has been improved plus it has included a radio announcer's comments, subsequently I'd assume this is a different recording of the same show.
Anyway hypnotic late era recording of the first (or is post-Hell 2nd?)period of the band's existence. Love them around this period live & can't understand the mindscape of anybody who dismisses Adventure which has some great stuff on it.

Bauhaus Mask
I have a softspot for these original goths. I like their dabblings in other musics like funk and touches of psychedelia.
Did read a rather embarrassing recent interview with Peter Murphy though, guy has quite an ego.
This was the remastered version from the box set from year before last.

Gary Higgins Red Hash
another cd that I hadn't played in ages. Folky stuff by a singer who was busted just at the time the lp was coming out so it went nowhere. Pretty nice lp but I think I need to listen to it a bit more to really ingest it.

Sleepy sun Fever
recent lp that does nearly manage to evoke a '72ish tribal hippy commune feeling in places. I think it does remain resolutely new sounding though. Could be production or effects or something.
I really like this lp anyway.

Caribou vibration ensemble
This is a live recording by the now one man band Caribou augmented by a lot of players including the Arkestra's Marshall Allen.
the use of melody rerally reminds me of 1st 2lp Mercury Rev & may use some of the same tunes its so close.
Nice sprawling near-chaotic toetappingly rhythmic melodic greatness, yum yum.

Sun Ra
couple of live sets from '83. I was mainly looking for the electric spaced funk side of things, one served perfectly the other was more acoustic. Both were pretty good anyway.

Dragonwych
the first, '70 recording by the band. Pretty reminiscent of the Doors though possibly a bit more garagey. Still drawn out psychedelic music well worth investigating if you haven't already.

Dave Pike 15/3/70
Interesting psychish set by U ex-patriate vibesman and german band set starts off with a cover of Mother People by Zappa. Pretty groovy.

Van Der Graaf Generator The Least We Could Do Is Wave To Each Other
Nice dark intelligent proggy stuff. 1st lp by the real band, though line-up was still shifting over next few lps.
Has material that is actually quite emotively beautiful.

several other bits & pieces that will come to me later

dvds
Boardwalk empire
Got through the whole first series last week. Very good show, first episode directed by Scorsese rest of series quality seems to be very similar still.

Carnivale series 1
Battle between good & evil played out in depression era travelling carnival background. When it's good it's great.

Stevo
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index