IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Feb 28, 2011, 10:11
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 27th February 2011 CE
Feb 28, 2011, 10:10
Robot Emperor wrote:
Fatalist wrote:
Perennially disappointing band, despite the continued hype. Early live shows were fantastic, but the albums have never lived up to that initial promise (though first few singles are worth hearing). Classic example of a band whose continued presence on the music scene (and in critics' affections) seems to be based almost entirely on how good they could be, as opposed to how good they actually are...

An easy trap to fall into. I tried so hard to like them that it was only after a couple of months of listening to the second album that the penny dropped. Ahh, it's shite.

They are very good at all the other bits apart from making music.

I have the same on going problem with Flaming Lips and Broken Social Scene amongst many others (The Unthanks spring instantly to mind). I often end up with more than half a dozen albums and a few ticket stubs from bands who never quite find the head of the nail but make an occasionaly attractive fist of banging their own thumbs black n blue. Waiting for artists to live up their own hype (either largely self-made or bestowed by critics) is an expensive hobby. That said I think Broken Social Scene might still come to astonish if they weren't so intent on being seen to be really clever and at the same time painstakingly likeable!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index