Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Re: British Seapower
Feb 28, 2011, 12:48
Fatalist wrote:
flashbackcaruso wrote:

British Sea Power - Open Season (thought I'd give BSP another chance as I've been a little disappointed by them in the past. Still feel like I'm missing something, considering how highly some people rate them).

Perennially disappointing band, despite the continued hype. Early live shows were fantastic, but the albums have never lived up to that initial promise (though first few singles are worth hearing). Classic example of a band whose continued presence on the music scene (and in critics' affections) seems to be based almost entirely on how good they could be, as opposed to how good they actually are...

I've not seen them live recently, but over the years I've seen them do some absolutely incredible gigs and some completely dire pissed-up abominations. But I quite like that they walk that tightrope. And they are a fan's band, putting on gigs in weird locations etc. BUT I agree that their albums are perennially disappointing; they've never nailed that live energy on record and ten years in don't even have that one memorable song. The best things they've recorded I think were the 'Man of Aran' instrumental soundtrack and a few good b-sides (their version of The Wurzels' 'I Am a Cider Drinker' is possibly their most emotionally moving moment on record- seriously). Critics love the image and like to set them up as an eccentric national institution, and generally avoid really addressing the music. I tried to talk about this when I interviewed them for the current Stool Pigeon, though space was limited and my critical scalpel was blunted slightly, sad to say, by them turning out to be such lovely blokes.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index