57 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Sep 28, 2010, 19:41
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 26 September 2010 CE
Sep 28, 2010, 17:04
MGMT - Congratulations
Unlike Mr Wolfe, I came favourably pre-disposed to this record after enjoying "Oracular Spectacular", and noting that they'd hired Sonic Boom - hardly the most user-friendly choice - as producer. Initially I thought it was a classic case of wilful commercial suicide in the mode of "Paul's Boutique" or "In Utero" the songs were just too angular and cluttered to sink in, and the instant hooks of the previous album seemed virtually absent. Having recently dug it out again in anticipation of tomorrow's show at Brixton Academy I now think it's a slow-burning masterpiece. Their early stuff might have appealed to more people initially but by my reckoning this is the one that'll still be remembered in twenty years' time, by my reckoning. Also, is it just me or does "Song for Dan Treacy" sound like an American version of the Cardiacs?

Various - Love, Peace and Poetry (Turkish Psychedelic Music)
By far the most consistent volume in a fairly spotty series of albums. What makes this one rise above the murk is the fact that the artists featured sounded as if they were approaching psychedelia from a distinctly Asian perspective, rather than approximating western rock idioms and accidentally adding local colour in the process. It's the guitars, basses and drums that tend to sound like add-ons here rather than the various sazes, ouds, tars and other exotic stringed instruments that no one in the west who never played in Kaleidoscope has ever heard of. The songwriting is mostly top notch, too, although a few forgettable tracks inevitably slip through the net.

Also in rotation at PV Towers this week:
V/A - Raw Soul
Cluster - Cluster '71
The Box Tops - Best Of the Box Tops
V/A - 25 All-Time Greatest Bubblegum Hits
D.A.F. - Alles Ist Gut
Bardo Pond - Dilate
Flying Saucer Attack - Chorus
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index